Pitches for LHPs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2012
Understandably, most of what I see pertains to right handed pitchers. My daughter just turned 13. Her curve is her favorite pitch, which can be really effective, especially when she makes it go up or down. Some coaches catch on and tell their girls to crowd the plate to purposely get hit. She wants to learn the backdoor, so it starts outside and curves in at the last minute, but we're getting mixed responses on how to do that. Any suggestions? Any other suggestions for left handed pitchers in particular?

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
My DD is a southpaw as well. Her pitches have movement regardless of what say is imagined. Her normal pitch is a two-seam fastball grip that drops and curves into right handers most of the time. Sometime it just drops. We were toying with grips and I had her fold her index finger under like a knuckle ball and when she pitches with the same grip, it curves into left handers. It's the craziest thing.

Jan 18, 2012
Yes, my dd does throw a crop, but she's still working to control the height. She's trying to make it drop without using too much body, which is harder I think when they're just learning it. I'd like it to be all snap, so she doesn't throw that right shoulder out. Her natural fastball screws out a little, especially with extra finger pressure from the last two fingers. I'd rather she didn't throw a real screw in the 7th grade! She has more control on a riseball when she adds a little extra curve on it. Coach Lombardi at OU told her to do that to lose any screw release as she's learning to master the rise.

May 29, 2013
Ok, I've seen the crop mentioned before. What is it? What is the grip? And does anyone have a video link to one please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi