Pitchers Parents: Opinions Needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Being on a top travel team helps if you get to play. No use in being on a top team and siting the bench. If you have the talent, you can go to camps and get in front of the coach. [MENTION=5663]JAD[/MENTION] she is going to top 5 program.

Top TB coaches get their players recruited, so the top coaches do a good job rotating players and keeping the players, and their parents, happy. There are lots of ways to get noticed by college coaches and attending camps is a GREAT way to do it. I would also like to point out that a lot of college players are receiving little to no athletic money and good players who do not need athletic money are a goldmine for college coaches.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Just finished up her first year of 14U.

I would recommend another year on the B-level team if they will push themselves and play in some A-level tournaments, then look to transition to an A-level team as a first year 16U player if your DD wants to pitch. If she wants to be a position player, then I would transition to the A-level team now.

Jan 31, 2015
The answer is highly dependent upon your DD's personality, and where she is in her development. My DD (2nd year 14UA) is a baller who has played on 4 different teams (5 if you count HS varsity team) in the last 4 years, and has always started out as the #3 or #4 pitcher, but quickly rose to the #1 by the end of the year (incl. as a freshman on HS varsity team).

She has plenty of room for improvement (max speed 57 mph), but her strength is that she rarely throws BBs (last WFC World Series tournament she had 1 BB in 5 starts), and her mental game is strong (some times too focused).

The 1st 12U team she left she had played for 3 years, and she got tired of the daddy ball (pitcher's daddy); basically, the coach's DD always started, got into a 2nd/3rd or bases loaded jam w/ 0 or 1 outs, and my DD was always brought in to save the day. She literally only had 1 blown save in 3 years of 10UB/12UB ball. Basically, everyone on the team and their parents (and other teams we played) considered my DD the #1 pitcher except the HC, so she moved on.

She quickly became the #1 out of 4 pitchers on the 2nd 12UB team, but at the end of the season, 2 of the other pitchers moved up due to age, and were told this would be their *development year* which translated to few if any actual innings pitched, since the 14UA team already had two 2nd year pitchers.

So, after playing 2 years of 12UB (January birthday), she moved up to a 1st year 14UB club behind another 3 pitchers with a new pitching coach. At the end of that season, she was right neck and neck with the #1 pitcher, but there was too much mommy/daddy ball for 3 other positions, so pitchers either pitched or batted but didn't play much of any other position, since the 3 coach's daughters played pretty much every inning of every game in IF/OF. Also, this 14UB team did not play any showcase tournaments, and still doesn't to this day.

So, she now completed her 1st year with a 1st year 14UA team as their #1 start whose club has placed more D1 players than any other in our area, and DD played a lot more tournaments this year esp. out of state than the past 2-3 years combined included many 14U showcase tournaments now that she's a rising sophomore; DD even guest played up with the 16U team for several of their showcase tournaments, and even got an invitation to a D1 school's recruiting camp in a couple weeks.

Now, she's found her home (and her 3rd pitching coach) and will be playing 14U a 3rd year, since the rest of her team is younger, but they will be playing 7 tournaments this fall most of which are 16U and 4 of them are showcase tournaments out of state. She will also get more opportunities to play up with the 16U club, since she quickly established herself as better than their 2 pitchers, and that coach wanted her, but the 14U coach wasn't about to give up his #1 starter just yet. ;-)

Based upon our DD experience, I would recommend the following:
1. focus on DD's mechanics w/ a *proven* pitching coach.
2. find a team which will challenge but give her a *real* opportunity to compete for innings; i.e. no daddy/mommy ball.
3. find a team that plays at a high level.

Till she is in 14U, she should lean towards more innings. If she is a 3rd or 4th pitcher in an A team, she is not going to pitch against the best teams, they will use their ace. Young pitchers need mound time so they can develop. Sitting on bench will not do any good to a pitcher. When she goes to 16U or 18U and hopefully committed to a program by then, she need to look for a team that will play tough competition.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
The 2 biggest questions that needs to be answered is:

"If she joins the "A" team can she work hard to be #1 or 2 AND will she work hard to be #1 or 2"? If any answer is "No" then the "B" team is more her speed.

In a perfect world, you want her to challenge herself to get better by facing the best competition possible, but you need circle time. When DD played TB she was always on mid-level "A" teams where she faced good competition and but was still in the top 2 for pitching. IMO, the #3 or 4 pitchers who want to be starters don't last long on teams. Lots of movement after fall and even mid-spring.

The other factor is does she have a secondary position and want/get to be in the batting line-up. Playing time is very important, so even if she isn't #1 or 2 pitcher, maybe she gets to play other positions and bats? There are many factors that come into play. Cost, number of weekly practices, how many tournaments they play each month?, friendlies/scrimmages/college showcases, out of state travel, are there coaches DDs that are pitchers!, size of the roster, does the org have a good reputation, does she like the players, etc.

Jun 12, 2015
My DD's team ruined a good situation for the last 3 months they were together. They added me as an AC. But funny, she only pitched in one game after I was added as an AC.

Not all dad coaches are daddy ball coaches. DH has much higher expectations of our kid than he does of other kids. And he's very conscious of the daddy ball label. I had a really hard time convincing him she should play SS because she was the best SS at the time. "Yeah, the coach's kid playing short stop." Well, if she's the best player for that position, it's not daddy ball. It is a red flag to have a coach's kid pitch but I wouldn't mark them off automatically because of it. There are a lot of dad coaches I know of who do a great job.

Jan 31, 2015
There are 2 types of dad/mom coaches.

1) Those who are easier on their daughters and treat them like the center of the universe and puts them above all other players (daddy/mommy ball) letting them play every inning of every game despite their performance.
2) Those who treat them harder than any other player on the team and hold them to a higher standard.

Avoid #1 like the plague, and seek out #2.

After DD left her 2nd team daddy/mommy ball team in due to #1 above, I knew we found #2 when my her new HC pulled his DD out of LF in the middle of the 1st inning of the 1st tournament we played, when she dropped a routine fly ball. ;-)

Not all dad coaches are daddy ball coaches. DH has much higher expectations of our kid than he does of other kids. And he's very conscious of the daddy ball label. I had a really hard time convincing him she should play SS because she was the best SS at the time. "Yeah, the coach's kid playing short stop." Well, if she's the best player for that position, it's not daddy ball. It is a red flag to have a coach's kid pitch but I wouldn't mark them off automatically because of it. There are a lot of dad coaches I know of who do a great job.

Apr 28, 2014
If your DD will be the varsity starter in HS go with the A team
She will get tons of innings in HS. If not go with the B team.
My DD pitched 150 innings in HS and 150 at 14uA level in the summer against great competition
That's a ton of innings and fall is just getting started.
Her HS teamate pitched 2 games in HS. If that girl was the 3rd or 4th Pitcher on her travel team that would have been a disaster for her.
But she played on a low "A" team and pitched a ton.
HS matters in this decision IMO

Jul 2, 2013
If your DD will be the varsity starter in HS go with the A team
She will get tons of innings in HS. If not go with the B team.
My DD pitched 150 innings in HS and 150 at 14uA level in the summer against great competition
That's a ton of innings and fall is just getting started.
Her HS teamate pitched 2 games in HS. If that girl was the 3rd or 4th Pitcher on her travel team that would have been a disaster for her.
But she played on a low "A" team and pitched a ton.
HS matters in this decision IMO

She is still a year away from high school ball but is playing MS ball and will be the main pitcher for that. It will probably be around 15 games total.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Message from Daddy to DD:

"Yes, I know you have worked real hard and really love to pitch, but I think the best thing for you to do is to sit around and watch someone else pitch."

Here is the big secret of getting a softball scholarship:

Your DD has to be really good. College coaches don't want mediocre players.

So, your DD needs to be on a team where she develops as a pitcher. Which team will help her develop?

Coaching? Your DD has a pitching coach. The TB coaches are not going to work on her mechanics.

There is no Daddy, PC or Tb coach in the world that can teach her how to pitch in a game. The only way she is going to learn that is by herself.

The whole "TB coaches get your DD a scholarship" is false. TB coaches of the big name programs get their kids placed on the top 25 teams...but, those kids already could get a scholarship to 50 schools.

Your DD gets herself recruited by being good. She makes a good video and goes to camps. She sends out emails, and finds a coach that needs her.

One other thought: Take a good, hard, honest look at the TB coach. Do you want that guy/gal deciding your DD's academic future?

Here is roughly my DD's progession:

TB year 1: Played on a quality 16U TB team, but didn't pitch much (13YOA)
TB year 2: Played on a mediocre 16U TB team, pitched every game. (14YOA)
TB year 3: Played on a medicore 18U team, pitching 70% of the games. (15YOA)
TB year 4: Played on a quality 16U team, pitched 50% of the games. (16YOA)
TB year 5: Played on a quality 18U team, pitched 50% of the game (17YOA)
Juco for 2 years: Pitched 50% to 60% of the games.
D1 for 2 years: Pitched 50% to 60% of the games.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles