Pitcher Warm-Ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
We had a game this weekend where the coach was playing the clock. Starting pitcher was pulled after three innings. In the fifth inning the replacement pitcher struck out the first batter she faced. Coach called time and went and talked to his pitcher. The pitcher then strikes out the next batter. The coach then calls time and replaces the pitcher with the original pitcher. The umpire lets her take the full compliment of warm-up pitches. Our AC asked why she was allowed to take the full compliment of warm-up pitches. The umpire said it was proper and the coached said he was wrong. I have never heard this issue come up before, but what is the rule? We were playing the NSA rule set but I would be interest in all of them. Thx

Jun 22, 2008
Dont know about NSA, but ASA, FED, TCS, USSSA, any pitcher entering or reentering is entitled to their warm up pitches unless they have already pitched in that inning in which they are returning.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Thanks Comp, that was my thinking. I guess our AC was upset because of the their coach playing the clock, something his team never does intentionally.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks Comp, that was my thinking. I guess our AC was upset because of the their coach playing the clock, something his team never does intentionally.

What is it about being "upset" that causes a coach to argue an imaginary rule with an umpire? That is, of course, a rhetorical question. I don't know the answer, but see it happen over and over again.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What is it about being "upset" that causes a coach to argue an imaginary rule with an umpire? That is, of course, a rhetorical question. I don't know the answer, but see it happen over and over again.

Especially when its wasting time and the argument is about the other team slow playing to get an advantage on the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd