Pitcher has lost her way

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2019
New Hampshire
14yo DD was, can be a very successful pitcher I know what’s wrong here even know the fix but
Nothing seems to get thru to her
This only started end of last year
Suggestions on an approach
No longer a pitcher she’s an aimer
The result here ends up usually a flat up in the zone pitch that’s either crushed or ball 4. Works on it in practice but reverts right back within 5/6 pitches in. Game
So my ? Is an ideas on an approach So it will stick mentally 76AD412B-55D2-4985-9D43-ECCAC215AF02.png

Nov 8, 2018
She cares too much. Meaning she has to change her mentality. She has to take a couple outings and use them to get better not to win. As an example. I play tennis. Sometimes my serve blows. I’m aiming. Not focusing. Whatever. I will say to myself. Forget getting the ball. Work on whats maki g the ball go out. I may double faulted the whole game but it sets me up for success the rest of the match.
She has to be willing to “pitch” in a game situation and not worry about the outcome.
Second. If it helps. I ask my daughter ware she is aiming. If she tells me at the glove. I remind her she needs to pick a spot 2-3 feet in front of her. Not at the glove. It’s like bowling. You don’t aim for the pins you aim for the little marks on the floor.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
A $4 tarp with some 2" dots on it. Have had success with kids trying to throw the ball through a target much smaller then the ball when struggling in a game. The tarp makes noise and moves when the ball hits it. She gets instant feedback.

Don't know if breathing is part of her approach but it is vital when out on the field.

Sep 19, 2018
A $4 tarp with some 2" dots on it. Have had success with kids trying to throw the ball through a target much smaller then the ball when struggling in a game. The tarp makes noise and moves when the ball hits it. She gets instant feedback.

My DD's coach uses the Tarp a lot. Most new concepts or drills. When my DD went to the 12 for the first time, her first three pitches bounced behind the batter (if a batter existed). She stopped, went to the tarp.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
How much does she hear/has she heard "Just throw strikes" or "We can't defend a walk?" Aiming is often a result of a pitcher trying to force herself to throw strikes (or hit a precise spot) instead of trusting in her mechanics to make it happen. Unfortunately, aiming usually makes the problem worse, not better.

Hitting spots/throwing strikes is important, but not at the cost of losing your mechanics. Don't know if that's the case here but perhaps allowing her to be effectively wild for a bit might help. Once she realizes she can do it without all that extra effort she'll be more likely to relax and let the strikes/spots come instead of trying to force them.

Aug 21, 2008
Find out if any colleges in your area offer any sports psych programs, give one of the grad students $20 to come talk to your team about Sports Psych and how it can help. EVERY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY SHOULD DO THIS.

I don't know you or your kid, but "aiming" is usually a sign of a fear of failure. Afraid of throwing a wild pitch. You can throw 10,000 pitchers per day into a tarp all you want or do any drills that people mention but this problem is between her ears and that's where it needs fixing first.

If you don't have a school with Sports Psych students, check YouTube and make her watch some 5 min clips. Not an hour long, she'll get bored. Just snips and clips about 5 min each.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad