pitch outs and intentional walks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
How often do your pitchers practice these skills? I watched a 14u game this season and the coach asked for an intentional walk, the catcher and pitcher were clueless as he was trying to coach them though it from the dugout. On the 3rd attempt the batter stepped in and drilled it over the 2nd basemans head.

Nov 1, 2009
Not too difficult to do but like anything the time to do it for the first time isn't in a tournament. I prefer the ball to be just outside the strike zone at eye level. It is easy to handle and if the batter decides to swing it most likely will go up not out.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
My pitchers do not practice this, we did play a team that tried----

Scenario:USSSA- 14U-bottom of 6th-time expired. I was home team down 1 run,
runner on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs. My #4 hitter who smoked the
ball all weekend at bat, coach wants intentional walk. 1st pitch was outside and high
for a ball. next pitch over the catcher's head-passed ball-tying run scored. We went on
to win the game/tournament in a tiebreaker-I could have swore I saw the parents from
the other team with a noose with coach's name on it.

I saw it one other time, pitcher took the safety route and rolled in 4 straight pitches.

I personally like to play the game 'straight up' I will let my pitchers battle to the end

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
My DD, 14u, Practices pitchouts at least once a week during her regular pitching practice. Her coach calls pitchouts frequently to set up a pick off or to catch someone stealing. She has never been asked to intentionally walk but we have seen it. Saw a team walk 2 with 2 outs to get to a batter that K'd the previous 2 times up at bat. She hit but weekly and they got the force out at home to win the game. State finals

jay

Mar 29, 2010
holland, oh
this has been on my radar as well. to do this legally, the catcher has to remain in the 'catchers box' until release, is that correct? i ask because it'd be easier to have my catcher stand a few feet away from the plate as a stationary target rather than shuffle outside when the pitcher releases.

Jun 22, 2010
Yes, but remember that the catcher's box is as wide as the two batter's boxes; eight and a half feet wide (at least in ASA). She can get pretty far from the plate and still be in the box.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06