Pickoff throws to 3rd base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2008
Albany NY
14U team with a couple of talented catchers. We are trying to implement plays for pickoffs from C to 3B to get runners on third. One of our catchers takes lessons and has been told 'throw low and to the base' - which seems like good advice for pickoffs to 1st or on steals of 2 or 3. But the pickoff to 3 presents a couple of issues (1) there is a runner between the catcher and the base, and (2) there is a batter in the way. So my questions:
1) should the C throw behind the batter or step out and throw in front of her. (my thought is step out, which takes more time but gives a better throwing lane)
2) where should my fielder put her target (should she be just off the base in fair territory to give C more room to throw).
3) is SS or 3B taking the throw - what situations dictate that decision.
4) When to call pickoff - I assume with two outs only if there is a very good hitter at the plate. With less than two outs, i would call more often. I would also hesitate with runners on 2 and 3 as a bad throw might score 2 runs. other situations?

the catching coach also told our C she was taught to throw at the runner's head so that she has to freeze in her tracks and duck - not sure I'm very comfortable with that one.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
For what it's worth This is what I do. First of all when there is a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs, you have to guard the bunt. So the 3rd baseman will have to play up. This means that the ss has to take any throw to the bag.

Snap throw to 3rd goes behind the runner to ss on foul side of bag. I don't do this much. What I prefer is to have catcher step in front of hitter and look runner back. 3rd is standing just in fair territory playing in. If runner passes 3rd, automatic throw to 3rd baseman who can then tag the runner if she retreats or throw back to C if she tries to score. If the runner is not past 3rd bman, but turns her back to C, C can throw to ss at 3rd to try to pick her off. In all cases, 3rd, SS, and LF should all be lined up in case of an errant throw.

Its very very rare to get all the stars in allignment to pull this off. IMO its not worth risking. How may successful putouts have you seen vs an error and run scores? I think most putouts can only happen if A. runner has back turned walking back to 3rd assuming no throw or B. runner is off balance with all her weight heading home and she can't get back, and still this requires a perfect throw, perfect catch, perfect tag....AND a field ump who actually sees the play. Tough if only ump is at home(in this case its certain to be safe). With 2 outs, get the batter. If she gets a hit, tip your hat. If shes that good intentionally walk? take your chances at a 1st n 3rd play. Wtih less than 2 outs and shes bunting...look her back, get out at 1st and immediately look for play at home (1st baseman should allready know this) I've seen lots of double plays here more than the throw to 3rd.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I guess when the OP said he had a 14U team with 2 talented catchers, I assumed they could throw to 3rd baseman 40 to 50 feet up the line just as easily as throwing back to the pitcher 40' away at the mound. Plus there are 2 backup players just in case. If the runner passes the 3bman, it probably means she is heading home on the throw back to the pitcher anyway or she is trying to bait a throw to 3rd so she can go home. The throw only goes to the SS at 3rd if the runner is going back to the base anyway. A bad throw there would be picked up by the LF before runner could get up and start for home. In any case it is not a high risk play.

Most of the time, the throw just goes back to the pitcher as the runner goes back to the base. This just keeps the runner honest, and the defence ready in case the runner makes a mistake.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I actually have my catchers learn to drop their left knee and throw from there. They throw behind the hitter on the foul side of the line. The third baseman has to be in a position to take the throw, of course. This is a called play too, so both C and 3B know it's coming.

We've had success with it. I remember one game in particular last year. We have a one-run lead going into the bottom of the 7th against an older (16U) team. Leadoff hitter smacks a triple. But I can see she's kind of a lazy runner, so I called for the pick to third. The runner was stunned when the throw came -- completely fooled because the catcher never stood up. She panicked and ran forward, and was an easy put-out in the rundown. We got the next two outs and won the game.

The key is you have to practice it, and your catcher has to be confident making the throw from one knee.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish