Pick a low pitch or flip the glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2012
There was a debate among coaches on our travel team this weekend as to should a catcher pick a low pitch and pull it up into the zone (Technique endorsed by the catching coach in the area) or flip the glove palm up and catch the low ball.

Opinions on the technique you like and Why?

Sep 17, 2009
If you flip the glove palm up/fingers down you'll lose at least 50% strikes. Teach to flex wrist back to catch low strikes but don't "pull it up into the zone" that fools no one. Just catching a low pitch with good stiff wrist and "sticking" it will get you best results, IMO. Turning the glove over on low pitches or even not so low pitches is a pet peeve of mine...

Dec 19, 2012
You NEVER expose the palm side of the catchers mitt for any pitch thrown that will not hit dirt.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
In my opinion, umpires will watch the ball from a set position and judge a pitch from where it crosses the plate in their static (stationary) view. A catcher trying to pull pitches back into that view from a very low pitch will not get very many calls. If there is a need to turn the glove to catch a low ball that may be close to the strike zone, I would work on body placement/leg work so as to put the mitt in the best possible position to recieve, enabling caught ball with minimal movement. Body lean an lift I think are a skill that need to be emphasized/ utilized more.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Yes...umpires are trained to judge the pitch as to where it is when it crosses the plate. However, there are several secondary things that are considered on pitches that are close to the edges of the zone. The actions of the catcher and the position she uses to catch the ball are some of those.

As has been stated, pulling the pitch into the zone will almost always result in a call of "ball". By moving the glove into the zone, the catcher must have thought it was a ball to begin with or else she wouldn't have thought it necessary to move the glove.

Turning the glove down to catch a low pitch may influence a call on a borderline pitch. It's difficult for an umpire to call a strike when the fingers of the glove go down to catch the pitch.

Umpires want to call strikes...the game moves along at a better pace, the ball is put in play, and nobody wants a walkfest. Catchers can help an umpire call strikes by how they receive the pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd