PGF Nationals approximate cost

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2022
Long Island NY
Nothing in this sport is financially "worth the cost" if you strictly look at the college scholarship aspect. The prudent financial decision would be to take all the money you spend on softball and put it in a 529 account and then she could go to college anywhere she wants but we do this for reasons other than sound financial ones. It's about the experiences and the bonds we create with our DD's that could never happen without participating in this sport. One can easily Google hotel costs and food costs so I know your question was deeper than that. Bottom line, if you go, go for the memories, not for the return on investment. Your DD will never forget going to Cali to play ball so it's 'up to you to figure out if the memories are worth the cost.

this is well said and should really be a the first thing anyone reads on having their dd play softball. this is all about memories, not ever making up the cost in some way.

Apr 20, 2015
PGFs is an awesome experience. The competition is top notch. Great weather, great teams its awesome. This year will be our 3rd trip. Our hotel this year is 197 a night, airfare is twice as expensive as last year, rental car was about the same. Certainly it’s not necessary for your dd to be on a PGF team with the goals you mentioned. If she’s happy with her team there is no need but if she’s not it’s a great experience and the cost isn’t ridiculous unless you are in driving distance of your other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I think every family who has a DD in softball who takes it pretty seriously (and which is financially able to) should make it out to a national championship. PGF is awesome. The experience for the players and the family are something that will last a lifetime.

We live in SoCal, so been there and done that. DD's team plays alliance so we'll be in OK, CO, then IN this summer. Wouldn't trade the travel trips for anything. NV, AZ, ID, UT, CO, OK, KS, MO, FL, and GA are all of the states we've been to for softball. Adding IN this summer!!

It is expensive though, 5-6k per tournament is about right.

Nov 15, 2019
Thanks so much for all your input, it was very helpful! For those who asked DD is 1st year 16u. The team she is considering plays at the Sparkler as well.

The suggestion of checking out http://www.lookingforafreeride.com/ is a good one. I follow her Facebook page and have gotten tons of good recruiting information from there.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
For those families starting the travel journey, may I suggest getting a SW Rapid Rewards card? We put all of family expenditures on the card which racks up the points in turn earns flights. Last year we earned a free travel companion pass for a year. Unfortunately, we only used it once. Covid! We haven't paid for a flight in 7 years. 12 flights in the 12 months.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
For those families starting the travel journey, may I suggest getting a SW Rapid Rewards card? We put all of family expenditures on the card which racks up the points in turn earns flights. Last year we earned a free travel companion pass for a year. Unfortunately, we only used it once. Covid! We haven't paid for a flight in 7 years. 12 flights in the 12 months.
Delta Sky Miles does very similar things, and I get to fly direct. I love that SW is at my nearby regional airport, but they make you go through BWI for every flight.

Apr 1, 2017
We did something similar when son went to college. Charge everything to AA card and pay off each month. Points cover all the back and forth from Chicago to Tempe

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We did something similar when son went to college. Charge everything to AA card and pay off each month. Points cover all the back and forth from Chicago to Tempe
Advantage ✔ planning!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Delta Sky Miles does very similar things, and I get to fly direct. I love that SW is at my nearby regional airport, but they make you go through BWI for every flight.
Yes! Choose the best option for your regional hub. American, Delta, SW, etc. Just take advantage where it makes the most sense for your family. We are all spending and ton of $$$, might as well do it smartly.

We should probably start a sticky on this type of stuff. Here's another "investing" into softball idea. Instead of buying the cheap $15 chair that is uncomfortable and falls apart each season, spend the money on a great chair. I bought two of these Alps Mountaineering chairs 11 years ago and they are still going strong. It's great for bigger guys like me. They are built tough, stand up to wear and tear, and last forever. The price has gone up a lot since I purchased mine, but so worth it.
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/184977/alps-mountaineering-camp-chair

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yes! Choose the best option for your regional hub. American, Delta, SW, etc. Just take advantage where it makes the most sense for your family. We are all spending and ton of $$$, might as well do it smartly.

We should probably start a sticky on this type of stuff. Here's another "investing" into softball idea. Instead of buying the cheap $15 chair that is uncomfortable and falls apart each season, spend the money on a great chair. I bought two of these Alps Mountaineering chairs 11 years ago and they are still going strong. It's great for bigger guys like me. They are built tough, stand up to wear and tear, and last forever. The price has gone up a lot since I purchased mine, but so worth it.
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/184977/alps-mountaineering-camp-chair
Those chairs look comfortable. The only issue I have is it looks like you can't fly with those. I can fit two collapsible chairs in my golf bag, which if I fly SW, there's no charge so long as I keep it under 50 lbs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles