Pet peeve

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
In this area of the country, high school stats seem to be a joke. Many that make all conference/area/state, it has become more of a popularity contest and how much pull a local high school coach has. Not sure if the rest of the country is like this or not. Many of these kids play tavel ball and those teams have web pages. Looking at some of these so called super stars that were batting over 500, but have stats now in the low 200 range. Is it because travel ball is harder or were the stats inflated, or both. My own dd's stats are higher in travel ball, because she stated the pitching is better and I don't get walked all the time. Plus as a Freshman in high school , she was playing against older kids.
I know what most of the college coaches I have talked to feel about high school stats and now I getting a feeling of why.

Dec 28, 2008
Anything having to do with any beaurocracy is going to be political in nature. That's just the nature of the game. Have the score keeper over for a bar-b-que and watch your DD's stats go up because there are a lot of subjective calls to be made and if you influence the person who's opinion is doing the scoring, you've influenced the stats.

Stats - I agree 100%. Most college coaches I know really don't care about stats becasue they know they depend on who kept the book, and what teams the numbers came against. They want to see video of the kids form, and they want to see the kid facing top pitching talent in person at major tournaments.

Travel - vs - High School - I imagine that our state (GA) like other areas it can very widely on which level of ball is better. There are certainly ASA A/GOLD travel teams that are much more competitive than most high schools, and there are also a lot of other travel teams that couldn't even contend against any of 5 or 6 of the HS teams in Gwinnett County which typically wins the HS State Championships annually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi