PARENTS YOUR UP!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Parents...are you a
1.Parent the coach/instructor?
Or
2.Parent the fan/let them be coached?

Gonna GUESS that many will choose both, and some are the coach of the team.
"Well i give my dd feedback and suggestions" ;) ok coach
"But we support her in anything she wants to do" :) thanx mom/dad

So for a moment ask yourself what role you really are?!?
And
What role you think your dd views you as?!?

* This role may change for some of you parents. At what age?

Last edited:
May 4, 2020
Parents...are you a
1.Parent the coach/instructor?
Or
2.Parent the fan/let them be coached?

Gonna GUESS that many will choose both, and some are the coach.
"Well i give my dd feedback and suggestions" ;) ok coach
"But we support her in anything she wants to do" :) thanx mom/dad

So for a moment ask yourself what role you really are?!?
And
What role you think your dd views you as?!?

* This role may change for some of you parents. At what age?
1- Coach Instructor 1st, Dad 2nd when at the field.
Dad 1st Everywhere else.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
#2. I play catch and help her work out when she needs. And every so often share a tidbit from my ball playing days. But I let her instructors and coaches do the heavy lifting.

I also am the team’s photographer.
934a3a7f50a768138a8cf3e33c23a1c7.jpg

d22d027689fa309df30d235c993b2ab5.jpg

774d3b4005264db44c35f32dd6406fa9.jpg

75dc7ea1095e072879bb400543f62d8c.jpg

b5eb0b9536cd71f5c3f05d378968b222.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
I used to be the coach (pitching and team) but left those roles when I felt the timing was right. I stopped being DD’s pitching coach at age 11 and her team coach at age 14.

I realized in both situations I had taught her as much as I could and she needed to hear different voices. It was the best for both of us.

I then was asked to become our team’s recruiting coordinator after being a fan for two years. I shadowed the current RC for a season before taking over. It’s been a nice fit. I truly enjoy being with the girls and chatting with the college coaches.

Feb 20, 2020
I encourage her to practice. I learned what to yell when she's struggling.

I'm the chief get her back up after a bad inning and the chief pat-on-the-back after a good one. I tell her what she did right, and try to help her keep everything in perspective. And I'm her venting post on the way home.

I don't coach, i don't teach except life lessons. I figure that's still my job, coach or not.

Jun 8, 2016
So for those of you whose DD's take hitting lessons. She hits at the lessons and then with her team maybe once a week. Then what? Does she only hit those 2 times a week or do go hit with them any other times? If so how do you handle that if you know what the instructor is trying to teach her? Say nothing if she goes astray? If you say something then you are still "coaching" her...right?

Edit: Glad my issues could motivate a thread topic @RADcatcher ... :rolleyes:

May 27, 2013
So I typically stay and observe DD’s hitting lessons just so I know what the coach is working on with her and I know what to look for. Since she slaps, it was all new to me, as well.

DD will typically hit a few buckets off a tee in the garage herself, but I do try to get her to a field for front toss at least a couple times per week while in-season. She’ll usually pitch to me for 30 min and then hit for 30 min.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I quit coaching her at 12 when I realized she take instruction from a bum off the street before she'd listen to me. When she asks I give my .02 which is a lot more since college but I see less games.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So for those of you whose DD's take hitting lessons. She hits at the lessons and then with her team maybe once a week. Then what? Does she only hit those 2 times a week or do go hit with them any other times? If so how do you handle that if you know what the instructor is trying to teach her? Say nothing if she goes astray? If you say something then you are still "coaching" her...right?

Edit: Glad my issues could motivate a thread topic @RADcatcher ... :rolleyes:
You are included in a host of other parents who are able to share their parent dd dynamic.

Have parents/dd's on my schedule who every year one or more family is defining their softball relationships with their kids.
Some go through a growing spurt that may change the dynamic. Notice this can happen at different ages.
Can see how families dynamics differ, then also similarities and tendencies.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi