Parent X. Coach ?s

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Beginning at 14U OF becomes a critical part of the game. Have her work hard defensively and work on hitting.
Every coach has a place for a good bat in the lineup. I have never met a player that didn't want to hit and hit well.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You are chasing the wrong thing.

Work on hitting, hitting and more hitting. The better she hits, the more fun she will and and the more she will play.

Ie she would like to try other positions but always plays outfield .

The question is whether she is playing out of position. If she is in the right spot, you don't want to move her.

SO: How fast is your DD? Fastest on the team? Fastest at school? Fastest in the town?

If your DD is fast, then I would work on her hitting and outfield, and forget about playing a different position. After 14U, good outfielders are as important as good infielders.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I am new to softball dd started last spring...

I'll agree with most everyone here: at 14U I need my outfielders at least as good at their jobs as my infielders are at theirs. And while I understand that every girl thinks she should be the star SS or 3B, the competition for those spots is heavy, and the starting spot usually goes to players who've been playing for a while.

If your DD is playing outfield her 1st year, that's actually quite an accomplishment at this age bracket. I'd not put a first-timer in the outfield unless she showed a lot of potential and was learning quickly. For reference, I had a 1st timer on my middle school team last season and she played 2B exclusively, with one of my best outfielders in RF.

Oct 21, 2015
She is fast and the coach says she is doing good in the outfield . We work on fly balls , grounders and hitting every week . She is not wanting to get of the outfield and never come back , but she would like to work on another position as well . I was talking about not wanting to waste the off season by not working on a different position if she could because I understand that is the time to do that , not during the season when you should work on things for the weekend .
Thank you for the information .

Mar 21, 2013
Helping with 10U and 12U girls right now, and when we work outfield it is obvious that 99% of them have no interest. They either straight up don't want to play outfield, or they have the attitude that it doesn't matter because they are infielders. Sad! That being said I would work on making her the best outfielder out there. Once the coach sees how hard she is working she will probably get some dirt time.

A very well respected coach in our area asked a group of 9 and 10 year old girls what the most important position in the field was. Of course the answers were mostly pitcher, catcher, ss and 1st base. His response "the most important position in the field is the position you are playing!"

Mar 21, 2013
By the way, if you don't ask the coach what his goals for the team and your daughter are then you cannot complain when your expectations are not meant. Unless of course you don't have a choice of who your coach is i.e rec ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw