Parent X. Coach ?s

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2015
I am new to softball dd started last spring . She is on a 14b team . What is the general thought on talking to coach about their plans on your dd . Ie she would like to try other positions but always plays outfield . I understand off season is best time to work on this but it doesn't appear to be in the plans . Is this something to talk with coach about or is this out of line . Is this something we should move to c ball for ? I just don't want to lose a season without improving her experience level ..

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Welcome to DFP! :)

Having a conversation with the coach about the plans and expectations for my DD was a critical part of our decision-making process in finding a team. The line of communication between myself and the coach has remained open since joining the team.

At 14U, it is (maybe even past) time for DD to be having these conversations with the coach. You can role-play with her so she feels comfortable with the subject matter and what she wants to accomplish by having the conversation but it needs to be her making the first overtures.

Now, if she is summarily dismissed or merely being given lip service, then it might be OK for you to ask for some clarification. But again, it is her battle and you would only be stepping in to help her understand what is being told to her.

If you don't like what is being heard, well ..... I hate to say it, but ..... BFD. Find out if she likes it without putting your undue influence on her by stating your opinions vociferously. She still remembers being your DD at the age of 2-11 and those years have made her more inclined to listen to what mommy/daddy says than to think for herself. Let her think for herself ... but act more as a guide than a dictator. If you can do this, she'll be a stronger girl for the experience.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
Walk up to the coach like " We need to discuss something"

bwahahaha! Depending on the coach, they'd be looking like....

62529772.jpg

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
There's also a time and place. That's an early on conversation, not one that happens in the thick of things. I try not to talk to coaches, even about nothing, right after a game. For that sort of serious conversation, I would suggest early on in the off season. If that can't be done, spread it between games and practice and when other team families are not around.

Jun 11, 2013
If you really want to try a position have DD ask the coach if she can work on position X. Have her ask what she should work on to prepare. . If she is slow you should forget about 2B or SS. If she had no arm the same thing about C,etc. If the coach agrees to give her a shot you will need to work outside of practice to get up to speed. We had a kid who never played 3B before. We asked her to play because of an injury and her parents practiced for 3 nights to give her an idea how to play. She wasn't the greatest but did a pretty good job.

Jul 25, 2015
At 14U, your DD needs to be the one asking the coach what she needs to do to get an opportunity to play a position she is interested in or thinks she could play. Hopefully, her coach will tell her what needs to be accomplished or what she needs to work on...

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I just don't want to lose a season without improving her experience level ..

If your daughter is new to softball, how is she losing a season by playing the outfield?

My DD started playing the OF in 14U and has played it for 2 years, and I find it very demanding. She takes buckets of balls each week to learn how to read spins, take balls over her shoulder, make do-or-die throws, learn to dive, learn to call balls and take charge of plays, and on and on. It's a real challenge. She dropped a ball last weekend and mishandled a single just barely enough that a runner scored from third. And she's a college prospect. It ain't easy. Nothing wrong with wanting to try another position. I get that. I just don't get the ''lose a season'' thing. Outfield is a heckuva challenge, IMO. It's not a lost season if you go from beginner to solid outfielder.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet