Parent email player resignation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Background info:

1. 18U Gold team
2. Player in organization for 3 years
3. Father is assistant coach
4. New coach on team

We recently had a player's parent email selected members of the team an email stating her daughter's resignation. Player was also going around to teammates at school informing them that she had quit. It has been two weeks, now player is telling teammates that she did not quit.

We are a 4th year organization and have never had a player quit mid-season. We have had players quit after fall season and also at the end of the spring/summer season. We do not have any by-laws or "rules" regarding players quitting during a season. We are having a board meeting soon and I would like to get input on what other organization are doing in this situation.

Any and all input is appreciated

Thanks

Feb 3, 2011
Has the player attended practices/games during the 2 weeks since she supposedly resigned?

What did the player/parent tell the head coach of the team?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO (with emphasis on "humble")--

I'm inclined to be a forgiving. Having raised three DDs, I know they can be a handful at they age. It could have been the DD acting out, or a parent acting out, or both. I wouldn't judge them too quickly. On the other hand, you are entitled to a full explanation as well as assurances that this will never happen again.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Organizational and board feedback is fine, but I see this as an individual team issue. I wouldn't want an organization rule on this. Case-by-case basis, IMO, to be decided by the head coach of the team in question.

fwiw, I was reading a book by Coach K this weekend (I read a lot more now that I'm not a coach on DD's travel team, or else those would be long weekends). Anyway, he said he had surprisingly few rules because every situation was different, and he trusted himself to make decisions on a case-by-case basis that the team would respect. He felt that if he had too many rules, he'd be forced to follow one at some point when it wasn't always best or fair. Rules can be the easy way out. Gave me something to think about.

Organizational and board feedback is fine, but I see this as an individual team issue. I wouldn't want an organization rule on this. Case-by-case basis, IMO, to be decided by the head coach of the team in question.

fwiw, I was reading a book by Coach K this weekend (I read a lot more now that I'm not a coach on DD's travel team, or else those would be long weekends). Anyway, he said he had surprisingly few rules because every situation was different, and he trusted himself to make decisions on a case-by-case basis that the team would respect. He felt that if he had too many rules, he'd be forced to follow one at some point when it wasn't always best or fair. Rules can be the easy way out. Gave me something to think about.

thanks for the reply. I agree with it being coaches ultimate decision whether the player is on or off the team. This is a difficult situation for the head coach. I did talk to him tonight about it.

Since this is the first incident like this for our organization, we just want to make sure that it is handled fairly for all involved.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
I have seen people come and go where I work. Some come back. More than I would have thought. If you don't burn bridges the opportunity is there in the real world. I agree with it being a case by case basis.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I now send all team emails to the team address and then BCC all families. This keeps them from having easy access to send random weird emails like this. I realized that while I want everyone to be "Best Friends" while on our team it is unreasonable to expect this. People are all unique and different in their own way. Some like sitting by themselves in a chair near the OF foul fence line. Some love to be in the middle of the action. Some love to be very involved with the team's activities and some don't. Bottom line is that if someone want to send a dumb email like "we are quitting and hear is why" then they can do it one at a time from their own contacts they have asked for. :)
If they wanted to go....let them go.

Jul 17, 2012
Background info:

1. 18U Gold team
2. Player in organization for 3 years
3. Father is assistant coach
4. New coach on team

We recently had a player's parent email selected members of the team an email stating her daughter's resignation. Player was also going around to teammates at school informing them that she had quit. It has been two weeks, now player is telling teammates that she did not quit.

We are a 4th year organization and have never had a player quit mid-season. We have had players quit after fall season and also at the end of the spring/summer season. We do not have any by-laws or "rules" regarding players quitting during a season. We are having a board meeting soon and I would like to get input on what other organization are doing in this situation.

Any and all input is appreciated

Thanks

Nobody missed this guy? Find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be some sort of communication outside of the email and school rumors since daddy is one of the coaches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie