Parent Coaching from the Stands/Sidelines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
Where is the hanging my head in shame icon? I try to limit the "extra coaching" I give my DD (as I am an AC on the team) during games, but I often fall short. I need to remember to pack duct tape for my mouth.

Dec 27, 2014
At 10u DW and I were guilty of too much coaching from the stands. Too much trying to remind her of certain keys based on what was happening that day. She was very new to pitching. Was easy to forget a certain key something or not as experienced in fixing the same miss over and over. One time an AC was just trying to get more strikes from her and he was telling her to do 80% throws to get more strikes. I like this AC but I did not want to compromise her motion for a 10u pool game at nine years of age. So, like a jerk, I then yell out to keep THROWING it. He gave me a dirty look, and rightly so. LOL.

She has made such strides in her physical, AND mental, game over the winter that I don't feel the need to try and manage her game from the stands anymore at 12u. Which is nice because now I get to try and keep DW calm. :)

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
Not sure how to copy and do quotes but I think you took me a bit out of context and that's ok it's a typed forum. We don't coach situational from the stands or tell players what to do mostly just the hitting. We're quiet and most parents just talk to them about that weeks work like I said palms up/down, getting the hips thru, bat to the ball, etc.. These little things bring it out in our young players. During the at bat nothing from the side but cheering. Nothing wrong with a parent trying to encourage their kid with a little simple reminder. I'm not saying during play as far as signing up and coming to the other side of the fence our team doesn't need that we are all involved and help where we can love our coaches trust them. Almost every practice our parents are out there running bases, shagging balls, and moving equipment. We have a team kids,coaches, and parents all working together.

I fit the description of, "older coach with the mantra of games are for playing and practice is for getting better."

I absolutely hate parents incessantly coaching from the stands. I hate it because every girl who I have ever coached who has had a parent (or parents) like this hasn't turned out well. It can be anything from a girl with legit, top-tier D1 talent ending up at a second-tier D1 school (with parent loudly proclaiming, "I got her a scholarship!") to a girl with legit D1 talent quitting softball and school as soon as she was deemed by the state to be old enough to do so.

I am not kidding here, either. Exactly 100% of these types of parents (those who insist on having their DD look at them all the time and giving them coaching, often in disregard for their team coaches) have negatively effected their DD's softball career.

Girls who constantly look into the stands for mommy or daddy aren't "getting better" by listening to their coaching. They are just pleasing mommy or daddy by listening to their coaching.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I fit the description of, "older coach with the mantra of games are for playing and practice is for getting better."

I absolutely hate parents incessantly coaching from the stands. I hate it because every girl who I have ever coached who has had a parent (or parents) like this hasn't turned out well. It can be anything from a girl with legit, top-tier D1 talent ending up at a second-tier D1 school (with parent loudly proclaiming, "I got her a scholarship!") to a girl with legit D1 talent quitting softball and school as soon as she was deemed by the state to be old enough to do so.

I am not kidding here, either. Exactly 100% of these types of parents (those who insist on having their DD look at them all the time and giving them coaching, often in disregard for their team coaches) have negatively effected their DD's softball career.

Girls who constantly look into the stands for mommy or daddy aren't "getting better" by listening to their coaching. They are just pleasing mommy or daddy by listening to their coaching.

And, going back to the original post, that's my worry for the girl I was discussing. That her Dad will develop such a rep that coaches will not choose her for the team despite her (obvious) talent at the sport. Basketball and softball are a little different, in that I do believe school ball is quite important in terms of recruiting for basketball. It would suck for her to not have the opportunity to play at her school b/c her Dad is a Pain in the A*#.