Parent and Coach ? Need Help.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
This is my first year coaching, My daughter is 11. This is her 2nd year playing. I was pitcher for a local college. I didn't want to push my daughter into loving what I loved so I waited and now that she has shown some interest, I wanted to get "all in" for her. She says she wants to pitch too... I thought "GREAT!" I can help you. We have an issue, I'm her mom, and she's not very good at taking critisism. When I throw her the ball back, she doesn't catch it and then mopes to the ball, slowly picks it up and walks back to the mound. I'm getting aggrevated because she says she really wants to pitch, but never wants to practice. I have her playing second base when she isn't pitching, but she just doesn't hustle quite like the other kids and she gets upset when I correct her on anything... Any thoughts from anyone ?

If she doesn't want to practice, she cannot be a pitcher. Period. SHE has to want it and SHE needs to be motivated to put in the time and effort. Maybe having someone else coach her, such as a pitching coach, who is not family might help but I wouldn't push her into pitching until if and when she has shown a commitment to the position. Why waste hers and your time? Find her a less time consuming position and work a lot on her hitting. By the way, lots of kids play much better when they are coached by someone not too familiar with them because kids are masters at knowing how to manipulate their parents on and off the softball fields.

Apr 4, 2012
I have some opinion on whether or not your daughter loves the game as much as she loves the idea of the game.

I love that line. For the life of me I never understood why so many loved to play in games but hated to practice. Taking 100 pop ups in practice vs. getting 3 balls hit to you during a two hour game doesn't seem like a hard choice but many, many girls just like the idea of playing. Practice is just something to be endured so you can be on the field come game time.

Once you figure out who is who life get's a whole lot easier.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pickle,

College athletes remember what they were like when they played college ball, not when they were 11YOA. So, your self-image of how you were at that age is likely wrong. So, you might ask your parents what you were like at that age.

As far as the "hustle" during the game, it sometimes helps to ask your AC about your DD's performance. If she/he doesn't perceive a problem with her hustle, then *you* are likely not perceiving her actions on the field accurately. The best advice is to let your AC deal with your DD and you take care of the rest of the team.

If she is "good", then she needs to play on a team without you as a coach. The interaction between you and her changes when you both have a common goal (playing time). E.g., as a coach if you say, "Hustle for that ball!", it sounds to her like it is simply Mom complaining. If you are a parent, you can explain the situation and say, "The coach is watching. He wants to play kids that hustle. So, if you hustle all the time, you will get more playing time."

As to pitching--Just because you know how to pitch doesn't mean that you can teach. Find a pitching coach for her.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
If you have an assistant have that person "deal" with her. I coach both 7 year old son and 10 year old dd and have at times asked my ac to address certain issues.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I agree with the advice to see a different person for pitching lessons. As catcher you can learn what the coach says in a specific situation then turn it back to her - what was it coach said about those feet?, Did coach say X then Y or X then Z? If you know she has given the wrong answer then agree to disagree and bring it up with coach next time just so you are both clear. This gives her the sense you are learning at the same rate as she is - you are in this together. Even if you know more than you let on she thinks you are as much a learner.

One other thing about the team coaching I have found the WORST coaches have DD pitching on the team. My DD has been released from teams after showing up the coaches DD. When we play those teams and see the stagnation we are glad they let her go. Her current coaches have DD's in their 20's and no relatives on the team. Things are great!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole