Pain that is keeping her off the mound

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Looking at your daughter (as my first thought went to weight as well) she is a solid girl but from her video doesn't appear to be overweight. I'm so sensitive about mentioning weight to teenage girls so I'd look at other options first.

One thing that helped me tremendously with back pain was Pilates. Does she do any type of stretching program?

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Looking at the video, I don't see her weight being an issue. She just looks like a solid athelete. If the doctors are saying a growth spurt caused some issue, have they recommended a rest period? I am sure some of the pitching experts can point out a few flaws in her mechanics. I did notice a lean forward and as slight arch in her back. But that could be an issue caused by the injury itself. Back injuries are very scary. The only advice I have is to find exercizes to strengthen the back evenly. Make sure you are working both sides. Could be if she pitches alot, her right side developed faster than the left. I would research online and find a doctor who specializes in sports injuries. Ask your local college who they use for serious injuries.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My dd had a very similar story. Dr. says she was overworking the shoulder, and her growth plate was the issue. Xrays and mri's came back fine. We had to do ALOT of stretching every day and even more on days she pitched. (Which we very limited) Now at the time she was still bowling/hello elbow style, and she would tend to pitch around her hip a bit. Thats what prompted me to look into her style a little deeper. Once I realized the IR method and the benefits of it, we got a new PC and she throws harder, more accurate, and no more pain.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She does have a forward dip, prior to pitching that could hurt the back. I would try eliminating that first. It doesn't help her speed and is only part of her pre-motion.

I agree that this young lady needs to pitch. If you can tell us, where you are located (in general) maybe we will know of a pitching coach that can help.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I think your daughter has a tremendous amount of arch in her lower back. There is a individual "Carly" on here and her BF has a site with exercises which help strengthen and prevent that. Something about a cat and a camel. Just my wooden nickels worth.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
It kind of looks like she lands hard almost stomps on her front foot, could be wrong but that coupled with a forward lean would put a lot of jarring pressure on that part of her back and hip over and over again

Dec 30, 2012
We are in Mobile, AL. We started with a new pitching coach yesterday from Mississippi. He said that he can correct her mechanics and help with back pain. My daughter says that she thinks once her muscle memory changes, that she will be alright. We are gonna try...
She does have a forward dip, prior to pitching that could hurt the back. I would try eliminating that first. It doesn't help her speed and is only part of her pre-motion.

I agree that this young lady needs to pitch. If you can tell us, where you are located (in general) maybe we will know of a pitching coach that can help.

Nov 29, 2009
I watched the video and the first thing the jumped out was her finish. She looks like she arches her back excessively and sticks her backside out at the end of her pitches. That is putting a lot of stress on her lower back along with an excessive dip at the start. There are several other things that also need to be corrected. Hopefully your new PC teaches IR and can some of the base mechanical flaws fixed.

She looks like she has a lot of potential. It'll take the right PC to put it all together.

Good luck. My DD was 5'10" and weighed #185 in HS. I don't think her weight is the issue. It's in her mechanics.

Dec 7, 2011
My 2 cents:

DD here at 16yrs had two "events" of "oh crud the pain is too much she's got to quit".

First one ended up being a small overhand mechanics change that resolved what we thought was a pitching mechanics problem. (Moral of this story is that the source of the problem might not be pitching related at all)

Second one was that DD loved Monica Abbott and replicated her motion as a younger pitcher. Now in hs, pitching varsity as a freshman, she experienced 400 pitches in a weekend. This new volume of pitches can really expose a problem. In the middle of the freshman season we totally changed her motion she had her whole career so far. (Moral of this story being DDs can rebound)

Good luck in your search for the culprit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd