Overhead throwing speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
What I have found is the overhand throwing speed will be within the underhand speed by a couple of miles per hour. My DD's pitching speed was 64 mph in HS. Her overhand speed was 61 mph. I don't know what her speeds were in college. Never put a gun on her there.

Oct 12, 2009
A decent metric is how far they can throw on a line.

Can any girl hit home plate on a line from the warning track? That's got to be at least 75.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD is a freshman in HS. Was just measured in a camp prior to a College Exposure tournament. She was measured at 56 mph throwing from 3rd to 1st. She mostly plays middle infield. Frequently throws girls out at home from deep cut off position.

Jun 16, 2010
overhand

The nfca has some #s published:

Avg D1 is 58-59
60-62 is above average
63+ is exceptional

My DD can hit 64 when fresh. Most of time is 60-63. She throws 71 with a baseball. (The baseball is lighter.) As she gets stronger and older her speed should increase some too.

With a crow-hop in the outfield, dont know, it may be a little higher.

In infield she doesnt use max throw all the time. Quick release is more important. From outfield after a throw to home, when sitting behind plate Ive heard umpires approach the other one and say "Wow, did you see the arm on that girl" . These were umps that call college ball too.

Jugs gun at NFCA camps agrees with my Jugs gun at home too.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
Based on what a lot of the Gold coaches say in my area...I would agree with the 58-59 range as being considered a very strong arm.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp