Overhand throwing speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Great info guys.
Browsing the boards last night I saw a post for Wasserman High level throwing. I read the e-book and she is definitely pushing the ball. I am going to start working with her on some of those drills this weekend. I really liked the water bottle drill.
I didn't even think about her holding back because of the other girls. In 10u she did manage to injure 2 girls because they couldn't catch the ball (one hit in the chest and one dislocated her index finger by catching in the palm of her glove). That was one reason we moved up to 12u a little early. I was also thinking about getting the J-bands mentioned in the e-book. Any opinions on those?

I came across this with a girl on a 10U all-star team a couple of years ago. One of the older girls threw very well when throwing to a coach or her dad, but I noticed a significant drop in speed when she was throwing to a teammate. In talking to her about it, I found out that she was scared that the other players wouldn't be able to handle the speed and might get hurt, which had apparently been an issue during the regular spring season (rec ball with newbie players). I explained that this is an all-star team full of experienced players, and every one of these girls can catch whatever she can throw, so I expect her to throw just as hard to her teammates as she does to an adult. Her holding back on her throws was never an issue again, and she went on to do a good job for us at 3B.

Jul 21, 2015
Great info guys.
Browsing the boards last night I saw a post for Wasserman High level throwing. I read the e-book and she is definitely pushing the ball. I am going to start working with her on some of those drills this weekend. I really liked the water bottle drill.
I didn't even think about her holding back because of the other girls. In 10u she did manage to injure 2 girls because they couldn't catch the ball (one hit in the chest and one dislocated her index finger by catching in the palm of her glove). That was one reason we moved up to 12u a little early. I was also thinking about getting the J-bands mentioned in the e-book. Any opinions on those?

Highly recommend the J-Bands.

Apr 18, 2015
While I think Jbands can be very useful, I believe that using them in any type of throwing simulation can be detrimental to allowing the arm to "Whip" either in the overhand or underhand throw, I have seen SB pitchers working with Jbands simulating the pitching motion and I cringe watching them try to muscle through the resistance.

Sep 30, 2013
A player’s hand size has a great deal to do with throwing velocity in baseball, and I suspect it makes an even bigger difference in girls FPSB because the balls are much bigger and the average size of the player is smaller. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207