Overhand Throw Problem? Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2012
Hi there. My 11 yr old daughter turns her wrist & arm outward (thumb down like an opposite handshake) after release. I have a still picture of this so I know that this is what is happening. Her motion and arm plane seem ok but her balls most always spinning in a clockwise motion when you are receiving the throw. Does anyone have any tips or drill recommendations to fix this?

Here is a pic.IMG_7170wed.jpg

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Don't fix it! Read the "throwing" thread in softball fielding. I asked the same question after seeing my dd in slo mo. It is a good thing. Pronation

Apr 6, 2012
Thanks for responding. I will read that for sure. But I am intersted how not having a true spin (backspin, 12/6 rotation) is a good thing.?..?

Apr 6, 2012
I saw the post. The big difference I see between my daughter and that major leauger is he was throwing basically sidearmed and my daughter is throwing overhand.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Perhaps she is just hanging on to the ball a bit too long. Does she use a common 4 seam fast ball grip and when fielding the ball, does she try to get a finger on at least one seam? I bet she will come along just fine. Put her at SS and give her a bucket of balls and have her hit a trash can, that you have set at 1st base.

I have more pics, if you want to PM me.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Agree with Amy. I think the pronation of the arm comes post release, so if she has a 9-12-3 bullet spin when facing toward her, she is probably releasing a little late or not pushing her finger tips off a seam.

The first glance at my dd pitcher with her arm pronated she looks like an alien, until you look closer and see her thumb is down, pinky up, and elbow is bent, but pointing straight up.

Apr 6, 2012
I have no idea. I didn't realize they should or even could find a seam during an actual play. They can do that? The objective is to try and get at least one finger on a seem for grip?

What does "PM me" mean. I will look at your pics, sure. THanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole