Over thinking dad???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2012
Hey guys and gals need your help.

Here's the situation
My DD is 12, she had was invited to play 14u this season. She was/is excited about this opportunity and has really been growing mentally and pushing herself to be better. Has me excited I have been waiting for what seems like FOREVER for this to happen but I knew in the back of my mind it would take time.
Anyways one reason I said yes to the 14u team was I knew she would have the opportunity to play J.V. or Varsity as a 7th grader. (No feeder program and softball is kinda looked over in the school though my wife and I are pushing the youth association in the area to get this going.)

As the school year is coming to a close the district has decided to combine all 3 middle schools and for a "C" team. (HERE COMES THE ISSUE LOL).

During the meeting they (the coaches middle and high school)
Pulled my daughter to the side and asked that she be a part of both"C team" and high school.

My issue
I don't believe that she will have any benefit from playing on the C team. Like I said no feeder program no pitching (no experience from probably 75% of players). My DD plays catcher and 3rd. I have spoken to my wife about the fact of me not wanting her to play C team the fact that I think it will be a waste of her time. (Haven't said anything to my DD yet) wanted some time to sit back gather my thoughts and ask someone opinions.

So am I over thinking this? Or do I have a legitimate issue.
Just looking for some feedback.
If you have any questions I will check this several times to try and awnser them.
Thanks guys

Jun 19, 2012
P.S. sorry for any improper Grammer or English did this on my phone and didn't proof read it but the work bell calls.
��

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So am I over thinking this? Or do I have a legitimate issue.
Just looking for some feedback.
If you have any questions I will check this several times to try and awnser them.
Thanks guys

Sooner or later your DD will likely be playing high school softball with the players who are the same age as her. Which likely these same girls on this 'C' team (whatever that is).

Helping those girls develop now may be beneficial to your DD in the future.

If it isn't a really heavy commitment, it may be worth the time to be involved. If my reading of this isn't the case, then I would probably not do it.

(You'll probably get the chance to be a leader, chance to teach others responses as well - but long term view this would be why I would think it may be beneficial to your DD to be involved)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think I would want her on 1 other the other but not both at the same time. From her improving as a player I do not think it will matter in 6 months what team she played for.

Let your DD choose, I could make argumento for both Teams. If she doesn't care, have the coaches decide for her.

Sep 29, 2014
It just depends if all she is going to do is sit the bench on JV then why not play "C" if she is expected to basically play full time for both teams not sure what the point is (plus games will probably overlap) unless they don't have enough players on the "C" team...do you guys play Fall Softball in HS. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of 7th graders on JV and Varsity just seems silly but if your state/district allows it let her play where she can face the best competition BUT still actually be on the field not the bench.

Nov 29, 2009
Put her with the older team. She can fill-in at times with the younger team. Too much to try and practice with both teams and play games with both teams. If you ask your DD she'll want to do both. However, there are only so many hours in the day and things need to prioritized. You, as the parent, need to set those priorities. She may give you some push-back, but when doesn't a teenage girl????

As far as developing the young players. That is the coaching staff's job. She can be a "leader" on the team when she is there. Otherwise, I would not put the pressure on her to "teach" the players on the younger team.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Two suggestions.
1) Play 12U A-level TB is probably better for her than playing 14U B-level. You need to research the team and level of competition they will be playing.
2) Unless your DD will start on Varsity I would not turn your nose up at playing on the C-team. Getting reps is better for developing than riding the pine.

Jun 19, 2012
As far as developing the young players. That is the coaching staff's job. She can be a "leader" on the team when she is there. Otherwise, I would not put the pressure on her to "teach" the players on the younger team.

This is how it was basically put to DD be a mentor and leader of the younger team. Teach them show them how the game is played.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06