Outfielders Missing Ball Through Their Legs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2014
DD's team (10U) played up in a tourney this past weekend and several balls got hit through the infield just for our outfielders to bend at the waist and let them go through their legs giving the aggressive (and impressive!) runners additional bases. My question is - does anyone still teach kids to field ground balls into the outfield with one knee down and turned in to prevent the ball from getting past them?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do.

If nothing is going on during the play there is no way the ball can get by them. It always seems like something is going on that they need to get the ball in quickly so it should not be used very often but is easy to teach.

For some reason, our teams too, this is not an uncommon issue. :)

Jan 7, 2013
I worked with DD to stop dropping the knee down. As a catcher it's hard for her not to when playing other positions. It's that Blocking mentality.

I prefer she gets into a good athletic stance and field the ball the same whether in the outfield or infield. I've seen too many instances where she, or other fielders, drop the knee and watch the ball sail over their head on a bad hop. Where if she was in an athletic stance she could have played the ball.

At 10u, I see a lot outfielders that do not get the same level of instruction on fielding ground balls like they should. They can sure nuff snag a pop fly though.

Plus, at first year 12u and younger, an out at first can be had on a well played short outfield hit, even from left field.

Dec 11, 2013
Glendale, CA
I try to teach my athletes that it always depends on the play. They do forget sometimes but overall I let them know that on plays that get through the infield we usually have plenty of time to drop the knee to ensure it is stopped. The only time they should try to field it otherwise is if they know, for a fact, they are going to throw someone out or if the winning run is on second base.

It is hard not to teach this as most softball fields don't have fences to stop anything that gets passed the outfield! Anything past the outfield then becomes a homerun! I'd rather drop a knee for a single/double to prevent that no matter the skill level!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My daughter drops to one knee frequently, and the reason is that she let one get by her last summer in a big situation. She left that tournament in the frame of mind that she would NEVER let that happen again. Her team was up 2-1 and lost 3-2. Worst feeling in the world. It made her a better player, though. Sometimes the best lessons are learned the hard way.

Mar 21, 2013
Ah, you sound like a pitcher parent. I know the drill!

Not always, but often the cause of this is that a lot of coaches just throw what they perceive there worst fielders in the outfield hoping they don't hit the ball to them. With that in mind the outfielders almost always get less reps or work. Though not always intentionally it does happen. With that being said your worst fielders are always your worst fielders, and inevitably the person the ball goes to in a big situation, unless you as a coach do something about it. All of my outfielders work out with the infield before heading to the outfield for that reason.

Just sit down and really watch a practice someday (especially in younger rec ball), and notice how coaches almost always do the same thing. They hit 90% grounders to the infielders not thinking they have to catch fly balls too, and 90% fly balls to the outfield not thinking that most of the balls they get in 12U and below are grounders. Remember, you are only as good as your worst players!

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Ah, you sound like a pitcher parent. I know the drill!

Not always, but often the cause of this is that a lot of coaches just throw what they perceive there worst fielders in the outfield hoping they don't hit the ball to them. With that in mind the outfielders almost always get less reps or work. Though not always intentionally it does happen. With that being said your worst fielders are always your worst fielders, and inevitably the person the ball goes to in a big situation, unless you as a coach do something about it. All of my outfielders work out with the infield before heading to the outfield for that reason.

Just sit down and really watch a practice someday (especially in younger rec ball), and notice how coaches almost always do the same thing. They hit 90% grounders to the infielders not thinking they have to catch fly balls too, and 90% fly balls to the outfield not thinking that most of the balls they get in 12U and below are grounders. Remember, you are only as good as your worst players!

Our org practices all players at almost all positions (except P and C). The IFers don't usually play OF, nor vice versa. But both IF and OF can usually field LDs, flys, and GBs. When they do switch, it usually turns out pretty good.

Mar 21, 2013
Our org practices all players at almost all positions (except P and C). The IFers don't usually play OF, nor vice versa. But both IF and OF can usually field LDs, flys, and GBs. When they do switch, it usually turns out pretty good.

The only way to do it right. In my opinion. Unfortunately, in most cases it's not that the coaches are doing it on purpose they just honestly don't know how to coach. Not a dig by the way. It's funny that these rec ball coaches finagle and stack a team to blow everyone out then boast about what a good coach they are. Really! Most anyone can coach talent, and if you could coach you wouldn't have to stack rec ball teams so you could win! Most are just volunteering their time to spend more quality time with their DD's. Tough to find fault in that! So when you come across this scenario feel free to lend a hand. Most coaches will appreciate it. I know I do. Most of the time lol...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1