Bringing the ball in from the outfield with runners no longer advancing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
For hits to the outfield where opposing baserunners safely advanced and were no longer threatening to advance, DDs HS coach taught the team to bring the ball to the infield through the infielder standing on 2b. In other words, if there was a hit to an outfielder and the outfielder didn't have a play, the throw always went to 2b and then to the pitcher.

I observed this for three years and it seemed to have the effect of keeping the runners on their bases while the ball was being relayed to the pitcher.

Does anyone else teach this instead of letting the outfielders throw the ball to the closest infielder?

May 17, 2012
At HS age? I don't like this for a couple of reasons.

1. Never throw behind a runner; always throw one base ahead of the lead runner (on balls hit in front of you).
2. By throwing to 2B you are denying the opportunity to practice getting into the proper position when runners are a threat to advance.

I have seen this at 10u/12u when you are struggling to throw and catch but not at the HS age. I would think you would get taken advantage of by the baserunners.

Jun 20, 2015
sounds like coach was instructing the easiest way possible to get the ball back to the infield. Not the correct way for all possible scenerios. I know as 3rd base coach and a ball hit to OF, i'm likely to send more runners home if I know they will throw to 2b every time.

Jul 31, 2015
Sounds like an OK strategy at the younger ages, but not HS or college.
You'd be giving up runs going to 2B with every throw.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles