Outfield practice in the winter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2008
smddad,

Your clarification was helpful! I agree that the ball should be fielded on the outside of the glove foot, so I am absolutely in agreement with GM. Definitely better balance, etc. Where we differ is that I wouldn't want there to be a stutter step; I'd rather the player pick up the ball with whatever foot is forward in their natural gait, similar to hitting the base with whatever foot is forward in base running. Fielding with the glove foot forward is faster if you can get your hands to catch up because it is just field-right-left-throw. A lot of younger players can't get in control that quickly and end up taking a full extra step and going field-right-left-right-left throw, whereas if they field with their throwing foot forward they end up going field-left-right-left...and then that's quicker. Bottom line, I'd rather add an extra step into the throwing footwork than into the fielding footwork (stutter) if necessary. Otherwise I think we're all on the same page, now.

May 25, 2012
Wow this turned into a great thread and has given me a lot of things to work on this winter for my daughter, footwork is something that definitely needed as she was converted from a catcher to a OF last season, she did great and was voted all conference but you could tell there needs some work. These tips and drills should definitely improve her game this season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan