Outfield fence height adjustable extensions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2012
Morgantown, WV
A couple years back I was doing some research on buying adjustable extensions for the outfield fence on one of our fields. The goal to allow for older age play.

As I said a couple of years back and we were not able to do anything with it then. We are in a better position now but I cannot find anything about it again.

Does anyone happen to have any information on a product that you can attach to an existing chain link fence to increase the height?

Thanks,
Ken

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
You can try thick walled PVC piping from the local hardware store. Attach them to the existing fence poles with several heavy duty zip-ties and use plastic snow fence fabric attached to the poles with zip-ties. If you want to make it so you can easily remove the set up permanently install a slightly larger pvc pipe to the back of the existing fence poles as a holder and when you want to set it up you insert the smaller poles, with the fencing attached, into these pipes.

Jun 7, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Thank you for the input. We had debated that some and may still go that direction. We were hoping for something where we could in a sense turn a crank or press a button...lol...and have the fence pop up or go down. But I think your idea is good we would just need to be careful in how we put it together.

Thanks again!

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
If you are looking for something like that then use metal poles and attach a pulley to the top like a flag pole. You could use a standard net and just hoist it when you need it. Sort of like what they do with indoor nets.

Sep 29, 2014
If you are looking for something like that then use metal poles and attach a pulley to the top like a flag pole. You could use a standard net and just hoist it when you need it. Sort of like what they do with indoor nets.

Yeah this was what I was thinking kinda like the netting during FGs in the NFL. How big are these little fields, 175ft? but you want fences higher to simulate 210ft or so? At some point the field is just too small to put big girls on.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
If you added 10 feet to the height you would probably get what you are looking to accomplish. You eliminate the short home run but increase the number of doubles that are now turned into outs at 2nd once the outfielders learn to play the balls of the net. You could go a local field rule that like " Off the fence you play ball is in play, ball into the net it is a ground rule double and over is a home run. Sort of like some of the indoor rules you play under.

Another option might be to remove the existing fence and re-use it by installing it back at 200 ft. (most of the field we play on are at 200). The openings left along the left and right field line would be in foul territory so you do not need to fill it in and at most you might have to add one or two sections of fence due to the larger outfield.

If you put out a league wide email you probably have a parent that works fencing or in construction who could help make it happen. Or go ask a local fencing company if they would donate the materials and some help in moving the fence in exchange for a banner in the outfield for a year.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A couple years back I was doing some research on buying adjustable extensions for the outfield fence on one of our fields. The goal to allow for older age play.

How much higher does the fence need to be to allow older age groups? I would think a standard 4' fence would need to be at least 8' high to make a significant difference. You could also try using a different core softball for the older age groups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd