Out for throwing the bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I am 99.5% sure there is no actual rule against it. But I saw it called in a game last night. Batter hit a shot off the fence in left, 2 runners on with 2 outs. Before she got 2 steps out of the box the HU called her out for throwing the bat. Ended the inning, would have been 2 runs for sure.

coach asks for an explanation and the ump said because it was egregious he had to call it. Apparently she hit the catcher pretty hard right in the face mask with the bat.

Was it the right call?

Jun 22, 2008
No rule set I am aware of has an out for throwing the bat, unless it interferes with a defensive player making a play. High school allows for a team warning for throwing a bat, then the next offender is restricted to the bench, but still no out call unless as stated the bat interferes with a play.

Mar 13, 2010
I am 99.5% sure there is no actual rule against it. But I saw it called in a game last night. Batter hit a shot off the fence in left, 2 runners on with 2 outs. Before she got 2 steps out of the box the HU called her out for throwing the bat. Ended the inning, would have been 2 runs for sure.

coach asks for an explanation and the ump said because it was egregious he had to call it. Apparently she hit the catcher pretty hard right in the face mask with the bat.

Was it the right call?
No.
While various rule sets may have penalties for such an action, that penalty would be in the form of ejection or bench restriction. Following this umpire's logic, what would he have done if the batter made an out? Call one out for the fly ball she hit being caught by F7 and a second out for "egregiously" throwing her bat?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Unfortunately, many states (and I believe Michigan is among them) do not allow protests in high school ball.

Still, that shouldn't prevent a coach who knows the rule from at least vigorously- in a sporting manner, of course- making his position known to the umpire.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
ASA rec - I have seen batters called out many times for throwing the bat, including at my DD's 10U game yesterday. Every time, the player - or sometimes even the whole team - has been warned after a first occurrence.

I've never seen a coach protest.

Jun 22, 2008
Unless there is a local rule in place the asa rules do not have an out for throwing the bat.

Mar 26, 2013
Unless there is a local rule in place the asa rules do not have an out for throwing the bat.
True, but the local rules are fairly common. Calling the player out may not be kosher for rule purists, however IMO it is preferrable at the rec level over ejecting/DQ'g a player.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi