Out for throwing the bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
You can't have 2 outs on the same player. If the local rules did call for an out for throwing the bat and the batter was actually put out on the play they are just simply out no further penalty
So what has been accomplished? Nothing.
It just illustrates the flawed rationale of the local rule.
As has been pointed out, players (no matter how young) how do not know how to properly drop a bat place other players at risk. Calling Suzy out for throwing her bat does nothing to correct the problem.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So what has been accomplished? Nothing.
It just illustrates the flawed rationale of the local rule.
As has been pointed out, players (no matter how young) how do not know how to properly drop a bat place other players at risk. Calling Suzy out for throwing her bat does nothing to correct the problem.

I disagree. During last year's all-star season, we had a 9yo player that had an issue with bat-throwing, and got a pretty stern warning about it from the ump - including a threat to call her out if it happened again. After that game, her dad worked with her to get the issue corrected immediately. It worked.

Mar 26, 2013
As Eric posted, it motivates coaches and parents to work with them to correct the problem, even when it was only an additional warning. Some local rules make it a dead ball out and return runners to the last base.

Rec coaches get kids that have never played the game before and you can't teach them everything in a few practices. Besides, throwing the bat often doesn't occur in practice - it's not until they're playing in a game. We took it very seriously whenever we ran across it. Most kids get it right away, but there were a couple that required a lot of practice and frequent reminders whenever they were at bat before they broke the habit.

@FPump - if you have a better way to deal with it, please enlighten us.

Aug 9, 2013
In other words, he's just making stuff up.

How can you tell a coach that there's no rule against something, then tell him how you're going to penailze it? :confused:

The rule book has a list of ways that a batter can be called out. Throwing the bat isn't one of them.

Do I have to tell you what I tell my 10 year old girls when they get a bad call against them and they start whining? :)

Mar 1, 2013
There is a local 14U/18U league I call games for here that has an automatic out for "careless or recklessly discarding the bat in such a manner as another participant may be injured." The rule actually states that this is interference, so it's a dead ball, batter out and everyone returns. I've called it three times this year, but I don't like it. I actually had to call it twice in one game a couple of weeks ago. The fact that it happened a second time tells me that they don't learn from it. It also tells me that the coaches did nothing other than write the out in the book.

Now, on Saturday, I was calling 10U PONY and we had a girl throw the bat on a base hit to the outfield. It crashed into the catcher's shin pads. The catcher handled it with grace and didn't whine. After the play was over, I stepped over to the fence and said, "Coach, there was no infraction there, but can you ask your players to be careful with throwing the bat. The last batter slung it into the catcher's legs and we don't want any preventable injuries." He said thanks, I heard him talking to his team and it didn't happen again.

No matter if there is a penalty enforced on it or not, it won't be corrected until the coach (parent, etc.) teaches them the proper way to discard the bat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi