Out for throwing the bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
True, but the local rules are fairly common. Calling the player out may not be kosher for rule purists, however IMO it is preferrable at the rec level over ejecting/DQ'g a player.
While I can appreciate the bolded part, again I'll ask, what if the batter who threw the bat made an out in her at bat? No penalty?

Jun 22, 2008
You can't have 2 outs on the same player. If the local rules did call for an out for throwing the bat and the batter was actually put out on the play they are just simply out no further penalty

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ASA only addresses throwing a bat in anger. The result is an ejection.

Real simple and should not be changed locally, but there just isn't stopping people from doing questionable things.

Jun 29, 2013
One of my little 8U's would have been called out Sat. for this except the opponent's SS made a heck of a catch. She hit the catcher in the shoulder blade hard enough to warrant an ER trip (no sign of a break per my assistant who is trained in first aid). My player felt terrible about it, sweet kid who would never hurt anyone. It's in our local rules, purpose is obviously to protect opponents and umpires, we all hope to break the habit with the rule.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
One of my little 8U's would have been called out Sat. for this except the opponent's SS made a heck of a catch. She hit the catcher in the shoulder blade hard enough to warrant an ER trip (no sign of a break per my assistant who is trained in first aid). My player felt terrible about it, sweet kid who would never hurt anyone. It's in our local rules, purpose is obviously to protect opponents and umpires, we all hope to break the habit with the rule.

The real issue is very few coaches actually teach the player how to hold onto the bat or discard properly. It is always just assumed this will be something that is automatic and isn't really addressed until it becomes a problem and someone is hurt.

Calling a player out is not going to resolve the issue and the umpire should not be placed in a position to be the bad guy.

Mar 26, 2014
While I can appreciate the bolded part, again I'll ask, what if the batter who threw the bat made an out in her at bat? No penalty?
What I have seen done before is this. The out is allowed to happen, then the umpire talks to the coach and lets him know, pretty much a warning. If she slings, or throws, the bat again she will be called out.

Aug 9, 2013
I always ask the umpire at games about this - you get different answers all the time.

This Friday, the umpire there is no specific rule against bat throwing, but teams would be warned if a player was hit with a thrown bat. The second offense would be a dead ball out.

If the bat didn't hit anyone, he would note it for the coaches, but not call anything.

This was 10U travel in IL.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What I have seen done before is this. The out is allowed to happen, then the umpire talks to the coach and lets him know, pretty much a warning. If she slings, or throws, the bat again she will be called out.

This has been my experience, too.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
This Friday, the umpire there is no specific rule against bat throwing, but teams would be warned if a player was hit with a thrown bat. The second offense would be a dead ball out.

In other words, he's just making stuff up.

How can you tell a coach that there's no rule against something, then tell him how you're going to penailze it? :confused:

The rule book has a list of ways that a batter can be called out. Throwing the bat isn't one of them.

Mar 15, 2014
In other words, he's just making stuff up.

How can you tell a coach that there's no rule against something, then tell him how you're going to penailze it? :confused:

The rule book has a list of ways that a batter can be called out. Throwing the bat isn't one of them.
Exactly.
Unless a local league adopt such a rule then a warning followed by restricting the player to the dugout is within the rules.
As previously stated, players must learn how to play the game properly--and safely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi