Our Jennie Finch camp experience

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Yeah, peel drop. That was what he said. Most of that went over my head.

No vendors, just a store with JF stuff in it. The only "vendor" was the BBQ place selling food for lunch.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Palm forward through release will give a drop spin, but I think a good whip that gets 12/6 will be faster and have a higher rpm.

Apr 12, 2015
Well, you can throw a peel drop with IR mechanics (an IR fastball with have a in and down spin to it), but a lot of people still teach hand behind the ball early, peel the fingers up, etc. Lots of similarity in my opinion. But that's neither here nor there.

As long as your DD had a great time, met an idol, and got (or stayed) excited about softball that is really all that is important. Any instruction received, good or bad, won't stick without reinforcement anyway, so its a win-win.

Dec 27, 2014
Sounds like a fun camp and DD handled any inconsistencies well.

My DD just turned 10. In her less than a year of real pitching she has had to deal with some well intentioned "advice" - though not from Jennie Finch. :)

Her PC worked a college clinic last winter so we hope to attend this year so she can experience a more big time setting.

Feb 7, 2013
Hrm, I would say a peel drop has very similar mechanics to HE mechanics. But maybe my thinking is wrong.

Correct, your thinking is 100% wrong and the reason why it's so frustrating to see the most recognized and beloved pitcher in the world teaching very incorrect mechanics that anybody viewing slo motion video of Jennie pitching in a real game would immediately recognize her instruction as wrong arm whip mechanic advice. But the lemmings will continue to follow her around the country. It's really a shame to see it happen and the pitching coaches who want to get in the instruction game look online for advice and see JF espousing HE mechanics and jump on the bandwagon. My DDs first PC was like that. Always referred me to JF teaching video to justify her HE mechanics instruction. Must be true because JF was a world class pitcher, she must know what she is talking about right? She even had me search for a used Finch Windmill on eBay because the product and instruction was what all top pitchers do! It took me two years (after ready BM IR thread) to finally see the light and I had to find a new PC for DD because I just couldn't trust her advise anymore.

What did PT Barnum say about suckers being born every minute......

Jun 12, 2015
I'm glad my DH and I found DFP very early in our pitching journey. The stickies on IR and drive mechanics have been really helpful. He has learned more than I have but I've read and learned enough to be able to recognize at least some of the wrong things they said this weekend.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks for the write up grcsftbll. I actually live in Gastonia. We took my DD to a Finch camp 3 year ago in Roswell, GA. Jennie was great, it's definitely a meet and greet for the young girls to see Jennie. As you said, my DD was star struck, she was 10 at the time. Couple of things.....Jennie was as nice and sweet to the girls as any "celebrity" I've ever seen, she really was awesome ! As discussed, she pitches IR and strides as long as just about any pitcher I've ever seen. As far as her dad goes, just my opinion but the two best things that ever came out of him is his daughter and the Finch trainer. We bought a used one off ebay about a month after the camp and it really is a great tool ! After a 5 minute conversation with him, I thought he was very arrogant & condescending ! He said that only 1% of pitching coaches in the country were worth going to, or actually paying. I know there is some bad PC's out there but 1%? I'm glad your DD had a great time, that's all that matters !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles