Our Jennie Finch camp experience

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
For our daughter's 9th birthday we enrolled her in Jennie's camp this past weekend. Thought I'd write up a kind of review for anyone who might be interested.

We went to the closest camp to our house, in Gastonia NC. Interestingly, the place where it was held had no ball fields. They used several passive areas for the camp. You'd think that would be a big deal but it really wasn't. There were no actual games, learning stations were set up for drills.

Some of the drills were pretty basic for my kid. Stopping gently rolled grounders, easy pop flies, etc. But there were also some that were more advanced. The skill level of the girls varied drastically and they were grouped by age group. But repetition is never bad in softball and I don't think she minded. She thought the hitting off the T drill was the worst (boring, she said). She loved the relay races and she always love pop flies, easy or otherwise.

Jennie herself was definitely the highlight of the camp. We got there at 7:15 the first day (because the website said registration at 7, camp at 8 but it was actually at 8 and 9). Jennie was already there, helping set up. My daughter was thoroughly star struck. Jennie stayed both days, start to finish. The campers got a lot of opportunities to interact with her in smallish groups. They got pictures with her, autographs, a Q&A session, all within their age groups so it wasn't 200 girls all competing to ask a question. The entire weekend she was smiling and seemed genuinely happy to be there. If I were her I'd have been exhausted and REALLY sick of squealing girls by halfway through day 1. Maybe she's a great actress and maybe she's just genuinely that much more awesome than I am ;) but she never looked tired, annoyed, or anything other than pleased to be there.

Some of the instruction hurt my brain. It's hard to have been learning things one way, believing it's right, and to hear from Olympians that it's wrong. Cristl Bustos taught the hitting stations, and teaches hitting differently from what my husband's been teaching our kid (he's a coach, baseball/softball junkie but certainly not an Olympic softball athlete). He's worked with our daughter on rotational hitting with a wide stance and no step. She taught a narrower stance with a step. We worked really hard to break her of the step and her hitting is very good. So I'm like, ahhhh, don't mess her up! Then I'm like, who am I to think I know better than Bustos?? Right? Anyway.

I thought Jennie and her dad had some very interesting things to say about pitching. I came home more confused/conflicted than anything else. Some of what he said made very good sense, but also contradicted some things my husband and her pitching coach have been teaching her. They definitely teach HE, even using that term repeatedly. My husband's ALL ABOUT IR so there was brain hurt number one. They said a short stride is safer and has more power than a longer stride. They said you can't throw a tradition screw or drop ball safely; they have some other method of doing it which my non-athletic brain did not grasp. I'm actually trying to find their videos second hand (not $80 new) so my husband can watch them and get an idea of the things he said this weekend. Regardless, Jennie personally complimented my daughter's pitching which about made her year. I should probably post this section on the pitching forum but I'd love to hear from anyone who's got experience with Jennie's dad's teachings and anything to either back them or discredit them. The girls got a lesson from Jennie and her dad in smallish groups so regardless of how you feel about their teaching, that was a pretty cool experience.

The lunches that were included for the girls were pretty blah, a hot dog and chips the first day, sandwich and chips the 2nd. They had a BBQ place set up there though, w/ lots of options. I'm sure that part varies by location.

Jennie demo'd her dad's windmill machine thing, which looks pretty cool to me. If she's still pitching in a few years we may invest in one, though I think I'll look into alternatives as well (regular exercises for pitchers' non-dominant side). She did a pitching demo which was pretty awesome. And they did a hitting demo though I chose to sit in the sun and read. But my daughter said it was very cool and I heard lots of cheering.

Overall it was an amazing weekend. Jennie is an all around class act, no doubt about it. First thing when we got in the car my daughter asked if she can go back next year.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
For our daughter's 9th birthday we enrolled her in Jennie's camp this past weekend. Thought I'd write up a kind of review for anyone who might be interested.......

Overall it was an amazing weekend. Jennie is an all around class act, no doubt about it. First thing when we got in the car my daughter asked if she can go back next year.

You got what I hope my DD gets from going to an event like this:

- She had a great time (and wants to go back)
- She got to meet some great role models who act like great role models
- She wants to continue playing sports

Actual instruction in the amount of time and the amount of girls/stations/etc is almost impossible. Maybe they pick up something useful - but more likely they do not. Often it makes it worse for awhile.

I'll leave comments on what specific methods instructors teach to someone else but I will say at least Bustos teaches pretty much what she does when she swings.

Nov 29, 2009
I thought Jennie and her dad had some very interesting things to say about pitching. I came home more confused/conflicted than anything else. Some of what he said made very good sense, but also contradicted some things my husband and her pitching coach have been teaching her. They definitely teach HE, even using that term repeatedly

That Jenny throws using IR has been discussed her on several occasions. If you look at the video of her pitching in the Sports Science program she participated in a few years ago you'll see she does not use HE.

Jun 12, 2015
That Jenny throws using IR has been discussed her on several occasions. If you look at the video of her pitching in the Sports Science program she participated in a few years ago you'll see she does not use HE.

I've seen that said before, and watching her pitch I thought the same thing. Does it do any harm, ending with your hand up by your ear instead of in front, if the motion up to release is the same? It was very awkward for my kid who's been taught to finish in front. But of course, she's like JENNIE FINCH SAID. lol

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Is this an example of the short stride she advocates?

Jennie Finch - Full Slow.jpg

When you have a warehouse full of DVD's and contraptions built around HE, admitting that what you teach and what you did becomes somewhat problematic and bad for business. :)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2014
grcsftbll,

Thank you for the write up. We're attending JF's camp in WI in a couple of weeks so I feel prepared for what to expect (it's a given our DD will have a great time!)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My daughter has been to her camps. I think having a positive female role model for a young girl is priceless. And at a young age, I think the instruction was probably just fine. But we skipped her last camp because we didn't want DD being taught (told) techniques that are not beneficial (Hello Elbow).

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
At 9 yo do not worry about 1 day of HE. If it serves to get the her all jacked up about softball it is time and money very well spent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles