OT: DSLR for fastpitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2012
That's the first time I have ever seen a sports photographer use a tripod. All of them use monopods with those big lenses.

Hmm... As silly as he looks, he might be on to something there, I'll bet that's a video panhead on that tripod. Low angle shots are the way to go for shooting action, especially the smaller kids in my experience - and, I know i've struggled shooting with a monopod from my knees / from my stool, that might actually work - some support and still allows for some freedom of movement. Dont get me wrong though, i'm not in a hurry to try it. :p

For fun, I showed this to a colleague of mine who sidelines shooting for AP. He glanced at the picture, and muttered something about another bloody "GWC" ruining the reputation of actual photographers. Had to ask him what GWC meant - Guy With Camera. Tough tough crowd. LOL

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I went with the d7100 kit. I'm definitely more comfortable with a warranty, all things being equal, and this looks like a nice upgrade of the d7000, which was apparently very popular for sports/action photography. Once I figure out what I'm doing, I'll start looking for a nice fast prime telephoto.

I would have loved to get a full-frame, and almost pulled the trigger on a used d700, but the lenses are just too expensive.
Also looked at Nikon d600, Canon 6d, 5d MkIII, Pentax K5(I have old 35mm k-mount glass that I love, might yet pick up a k5).

dpreview.com and fredmiranda.com were very helpful.
I also enjoyed the "camera finder" on flickr: someone is making art with any camera out there, even if everyone else loathes it.

I appreciate all the help, I'll doubtless have additional questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1