Orgs with a showcase team question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
It's not a 503c so they don't need to show an accounting. They tell you the price and what you get and you decide. I guess I did decide only I thought they were paying the coaches.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Our teams fees will be @ $18K for the season (@ $1500 per player x 12). We will play @ 15 tournaments this year, including 3-4 showcases which are 2-3X typical tournament fees. Our uniforms are @ $350 per player, which includes helmets and bat bags. Indoor workouts are @ $100/hour for 2.5 indoor cages. We do not have paid coaches.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Is your dd guaranteed a spot on the showcase team in the future?

That's a lot of money to pay then get released from the team.

My dd's org decided to do exactly what your describing. They have been loosing players and teams ever since. Most decided it was too expensive for the return.

If your getting excellent coaching and facilities might be worth it.

Apr 9, 2012
DDs team brings in about 32k in fees and we attend about 17 tourneys costing approx 500 each. We have winter workouts in a fairly expensive place costing probably 600 per day x 10. That's less than half of the fees. Are we funding the gold team? Is that typical? Our team coaches don't get paid.

Yes. The Gold/Showcase teams require large amounts to sustain and get the girls proper opportunities. As long as your paying a fair share for your daughter and its fundraising going to the Gold then your doing well. many clubs charge you extra to funnel up to cover the Gold.

The reality is if your DD makes the Gold team shell get the same benefit so nothing is lost.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
There is no guarantee of making the showcase team and I'd be leery of that. The coaching has been excellent so for now I guess I'm ok.

I have not been the best at selecting teams in the past, compromising by selecting convenience and what appeared to be decent coaching and player talent. The player talent was there but the coaching ended up being poor to the point the last two years DD's team has broken up at the end of the season. Well intentioned coaches, just in over their head. I don't want to hop around too much and get the rep of a new team every year. I heard from one of the higher end orgs in the area that they don't want to take kids past 9th grade figuring any bad habits will be to ingrained to correct.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Look, try not to look at how much the org is bringing in each year. There are always expenses you are unaware of. If you are comfortable with what they are charging you, I would not say a word. If you ever want your DD to play on the Gold level team, you probably do not want to seem like you are questioning what they are doing with the money. Perhaps you could become friends with a parent who may have been around longer and can explain it without raising any concerns. I am not saying you do not have the right to ask. Actually, I believe all ASA Gold level teams have to report their books every year. Some org's actually send it out to the parents. But unless you feel strongly about it, I may sit this battle out. The only reputation worse than being a team hopper, is being a team instigator.

Jul 26, 2010
A ball organizations are businesses. Unless you're in the business of running a business then it is none of your business how their business is run.

Ask yourself if you are paying normal fees for 18G teams in your area, if you're not, then worry. Normally, if coaches aren't paid, then they may be working off a deal or a debt owed from when their own kid played ball, agreeing to stay on and coach a number of years. If you have coaches who still have kids playing, then I agree you should worry.

-W

Aug 14, 2011
We pay 7500 to 8000 over the course of Fall and summer. 15-18 girls on the team. We play expensive big tournaments, gold level. The cost includes fees , equipment, about 4 plane trips, hotel (4 girls per room), van rentals for transport at tourneys that are out of state, plus practice fields and coaches'expenses(hotel, food, airfare, gas). Coaches do not receive salaries. Meals are extra cost. We get an itemized list, down to the penny, of how the money was spent. If the expense is not incurred, then we owe less.

As people are listing expenses you can see as I stated before there are lots of moving parts.

Ask yourself are you getting what you are paying for...it sounds like you have found a good environment and are having a good experience and you know the flip side changing teams and never really being happy, if it is not a financial hardship sounds like you have found a home.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Yes we probably have a home. I guess it was the idea that we pay about a grand more than everyone else. Not as much as some but significant. Oh well, only a few more years of it and if DD is happier on this team I guess it's worth the extra plus I hated fundraising. We ended up buying all that stuff ourselves. Cookies, pizzas, superbowl squares, raffle tickets and sponsorships just so we could pretend we only paid 800 per year when in reality we paid 1500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877