Oregon home run taken away

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Was watching the Oregon v Washingtin game and the plate umpire took a home run away from Oregon because one of the Oregon players was celebrating at home plate in fair territory before batter/baserunner touched home plate. Never seen that before.

Dec 20, 2012
Yeah, I get that Cher had jumped across home plate but not sure it should negate the HR. My biggest gripe is that it was on a HR and does not affect the play whatsoever! Had it been on a play at the plate I would agree. It should be penalized like an excessive celebration in the NFL. Give the out after the HR.

Could you imagine if this HR was called an out because she couldn't cross the plate on her own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVlKtI7yd_s

Mar 25, 2011
Well, if she made contact with another player prior to touching homeplate, and the ball hadn't clearly left the park, then she is out. At least, by the rules of baseball. A Rockies player did that last year. Hit a line drive into right in the gap, and as he was about to round first, he gave the first base coach a high five, kind of a dangler as he was about to touch first... since he hadn't touched first even yet, not only was he out, he didn't even get credit for a single.

Crazy umpires sometimes... take away a home run. meh.

Feb 7, 2013
Well, if she made contact with another player prior to touching homeplate, and the ball hadn't clearly left the park, then she is out. At least, by the rules of baseball. A Rockies player did that last year. Hit a line drive into right in the gap, and as he was about to round first, he gave the first base coach a high five, kind of a dangler as he was about to touch first... since he hadn't touched first even yet, not only was he out, he didn't even get credit for a single.

Crazy umpires sometimes... take away a home run. meh.

The issue was that Cheridan Hawkins crossed in front of home plate to celebrate with her team mates and had been warned on the prior home run not to enter fair territory. When they did it on the second home run the plate ump immediately called the batter out before she crossed home plate. Technically correct call but a bummer nevertheless. Thank god it wasn't a close game and that run meant something.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I saw it and almost posted a thread but figured it would just wind up as another "rule nazi" v "let them play" thread.....but since it's up I will say that the ump reminded me of a mall security guard that thinks he's a sheriff making that call. Total little man douche move.

Mar 26, 2013
My first thoughts were only sympathy for Udria for having her HR downgraded to a triple and no excuse for Hawkins as this is the 2nd year of the rule and they had their warning earlier in the game.

However, the umpire called it because she crossed over home plate en route to taking a position in foul ground, well before the runner got there. CS call as the purpose of the rule is to give the umpire a clear view of the runner(s) and plate.

Here's video of the call in the fourth and what they did in the 5th on the walk-off HR - Oregon softball learns the proper way to celebrate home runs.

Cheridan Hawkins, junior pitcher on what she'll most remember from the wild afternoon.
"Probably running across home plate and ruining my roommate's first home run (laughs). Obviously I'm happy to throw a perfect game, but yeah, that's my roommate and she hits her first home run, and I'm a ding-dong and run across home plate — jump actually. I don't know what I was thinking.

May 6, 2014
Columbus, GA
Cheridan Hawkins, junior pitcher on what she'll most remember from the wild afternoon.
"Probably running across home plate and ruining my roommate's first home run (laughs). Obviously I'm happy to throw a perfect game, but yeah, that's my roommate and she hits her first home run, and I'm a ding-dong and run across home plate — jump actually. I don't know what I was thinking.
[/QUOTE]

Have to appreciate this sportsmanship and personal responsibility shown here. In today's usual manner of dealing with a mistake there is usually a denying of personal responsibility and a rant of what everyone else did wrong. Very respectable statement by this young lady!

CH

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog