Opposing teams 3rd base coach calling our pitch locations.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Sometimes you get coaches, and especially parents who are guessing at the next pitch.

Watch for her change at 0-2 count usually is a greenlight to throw a fastball regardless of what was called.

Just like start your swing earlier always meant its time for a changeup.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you know that a coach, player or parent is stealing signs or giving away pitch location it is always fun to change the signs with the catcher and watch a girl jump out of the way of an inside screwball when her coach is yelling 'watch for the change up'! LOL

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Even at higher levels, the catchers are moving early enough to yell it out.

I say this as a pitcher, I just hated the catcher being fidgety, so I just had her stay in the middle and go after pitches if she had to. Another option is to set up slightly to the 'in' or 'out' from the beginning but slyly and not all the way, something I saw at the HS playoffs. The catcher can also move her glove a bit without moving her whole body.

You know you can't set up high, so think about it, why set up at all unless it is a waste pitch w/movement meant to go off the plate?

SB - Even w/ no runner's on, there's a distinct advantage gained from setting up so the C can center the received pitch (this is in addition to proper framing). On average, I'd say 5-10 strikes a game can be gained and the number of WPs/PBs reduced when the C sets up properly. With an experienced pitcher and signs indicating pitch AND location, there shouldn't be a real distraction w/ the catcher making a late, subtle shift. If you haven't before, take a look at the NECC website content or buy/beg/borrow/steal a copy of their $40 catcher training DVD.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
and my response would be "Coach we dont need to know your political affiliations/feelings" "Coach this isnt a double date" "Squirel" along with many more sarcastic remarks poking fun at him and keeping my girls playing loose.

I mean UNIVERSITY OF OREGON.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Just be glad at 12U they weee consistent enough to hit their spots! My dds 14U had a pitcher who had our catcher jumping all over the place ;-)

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
You can't have your pitcher throw at the batter. But you can ask your 1B to fire a ball to your 3B after an out and have your 3B "miss it". Then have your pitcher ask him whether it was inside or outside?

Could not agree more....Sorry but some day dreams seem worth seeing get played out in real life

Jan 15, 2009
I can tell you from watching that catchers are not doing that great a job generally and I have seen all kinds of styles. Then by college most are not giving a target at all, shifting or no shifting.

Depends on what you define as a good job. I've been at a college clinic with an All-american catcher who stressed not giving a target but letting the glove droop until the windup is already started. The rationale was that the longer you hold the glove up in a target position the stiffer those muscles get and the less ability you have to move the glove quickly if the pitch is off. I think at the college level at least there is no expectation that the pitcher needs to see a target to throw a pitch to a predetermined spot.

Dec 9, 2011
Green it says your lacation is new england do you get a kick back on NECC dvd or advertising for them. Maybe your Weaver and trying to advertise your product and your camps??? Nothing meant but everytime something about catching you bring up NECC...

Aug 2, 2008
:)NECC is just that good

Some pitchers are fragile, "you move to late" "to early" to much" "not enough" etc....
Our catchers set up as the pitcher is starting her windup, as Greenmonsters said the goal is to receive the ball in the middle of the chest (per NECC) to gain the pitcher strikes. Sitting in the middle and stabbing at pitches off the plate is not optimal.

I'm dont worry about coaches or players tipping pitches. Its easy enough to deal with.

Jul 26, 2010
Holding up a target is an old-school thing, like the squish the bug or hello elbow nonsense. Pitchers should be visualizing the strike zone box with their mind and pitching to the spot on the box that they want the pitch to go. The catcher is somewhere in their thousand yard stare but not the focal point.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA