Opposing teams 3rd base coach calling our pitch locations.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
For any coach to call out pitch locations at the 14U level is exceedingly poor sportsmanship. At that age, it is probably best to go talk to him or the head coach. Explain that it is not surprising that he can outsmart a kid that age, but that the kids don't learn anything from it.

At higher levels you can argue that you should be smarter about the signals you use or about how the catcher sets up. But the fact that you can work around it, doesn't mean that it is no longer poor sportsmanship. That is particularly true when the coach does it from first or third base. At D1, when the 3rd base coach calls "change" in the middle of a pitch, it is not because of the way the catcher sets up, it is because he sees from the pitcher's grip that she is throwing a changeup. While the pitcher should try to hide from the batter what she's throwing, the 3rd base coach has the unfair advantage of a different angle. By the time he calls it, the pitcher has already started her pitch, and can't really change it anymore. It seems that that is what the Oregon coach did, and he seriously diminishes his team's achievement with this behavior.

In MLB this would cause a big stink; I don't see why it should be ok in softball.

It's only an issue if the signs were stolen using video feeds or input from non-field personnel. The only other time you might hear or know about signs being stolen using traditional means is when a middle IF has an animated chat w/ a runner on 2B or a batter ends up wearing a pitch accompanied by a message. Unless you're not smart enought to realize it or figure out how to prevent it or, better yet, use it to your advantage, stealing signs becomes useless as soon as the other team is aware you're doing it.

Oct 1, 2011
I was coaching a rec game last week and the 3rd base coach told her team "I'm going to be telling you where every pitch is coming so be ready!" I let her tell them a few times and then I decided to save her the trouble and just tell my pitcher what to throw. It doesn't matter if you know what's coming if you haven't been coached.

It also happened last fall with my travel team except they were watching me at 3rd and figured out my offensive signals. I just started telling my batters what I wanted them to do.

Coaches, spend a little more time teaching them the game and a little less time worrying about what the other team is doing, I promise you it's a much more effective strategy.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The catcher we were playing last night did a poor job of hiding the sign. I kept thinking to myself that a coach that would steal and tip the batter is just stealing part of that batter's developement.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Sometimes you get coaches, and especially parents who are guessing at the next pitch.

Watch for her change at 0-2 count usually is a greenlight to throw a fastball regardless of what was called.

Just like start your swing earlier always meant its time for a changeup.

I always loved the "Get in the back of the box and swing quick." Change up.

and "She's throwing strikes, swing the dad-gum bat." Pitch in the opposite batters box.

Really coach? Are going to make it this easy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321