Opinions for a new glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2013
Sorry, I know there have been quite a few glove related posts in the past- but many of those reference infielder gloves.

I'm kind of all over the place here…not a clue what my dd needs. Any help, tips to glove shopping is appreciated. Unfortunately, I don't know of any places locally to take a test drive at(we're in Titletown, WI :)) She currently uses a retail store 12.5" Easton and has been complaining about the ball constantly popping out of the pocket as well as the fit.

She just turned 13 and will be moving to 14u next spring. She split her time on the field probably 60/40 between shortstop/cf last year, and I'm guessing gets moved to outfield full time at some point(better WAR). That said, I thought the same thing going into last year, so who knows.

As far as price, that's also up in the air. Generally, I'm so tight I squeak, but fastpitch is my weakness. I do have a fair amount of Amazon credit, so if I can buy it there, bonus.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
13YO DD is a utility player and uses a 12.5 Akadema, she seems to like it. In the past they have had some Thanksgiving sales if you can wait a little bit. Should be able to get one for $70 - $90.

The 12.5 size seems right for a SS/ CF. I am not sure why the ball would start popping out or not fit right. Maybe it never fit right or the pocket has collapsed?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
IME, a middle of the road glove will last 2-3 years. If it was properly broken in at the beginning and taken care of during it's lifespan, you can get more out of them assuming they aren't outgrown. Most times, players will just throw them in the bag and the parents don't think about taking it out 5-6 times a year and apply leather conditioner. That being said, improper fit is the key to what you have mentioned thus, needing a new glove. Since your DD plays both IF and OF, I would recommend a 12.5" also. There are many very good gloves out there in the $70-$120 price range and you can find a majority of them on Amazon. Basically, the more expensive a glove is, usually the better the materials used to build it and the longer they will last. I would recommend staying in the above price range so that you can get 3 or so years of use out of it (assuming she won't outgrow the fit) and then if your DD decides to continue play into her college years, invest in a top quality glove Such as a Vinci or Nokona.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I can't say enough about the quality of Vinci gloves and mitts. DD has two Kip Leather models and they are amazing! Her fielding glove is a BV1929-L 12.5". It plays a little small but has a nice pocket. She is 13yo 8th grade, and this mitt should last her through high school. Superior quality and great fit due to the form fitting finger stalls. This is a baseball model, but handles a 12" ball with ease.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I can't say enough about the quality of Vinci gloves and mitts. DD has two Kip Leather models and they are amazing! Her fielding glove is a BV1929-L 12.5". It plays a little small but has a nice pocket. She is 13yo 8th grade, and this mitt should last her through high school. Superior quality and great fit due to the form fitting finger stalls. This is a baseball model, but handles a 12" ball with ease.

Also with the BV1929-L 12.5" here.
Our first high-quality glove.
A bit taken aback, at first, at the construction, with inserts/padding/stiffeners within the glove.
Not your typical "ready to use right off the rack" Dick's special.
Taking some time to break-in, but I can tell it will last a LONG time.
Had to perform a little "surgery" as the stitched wrist strap was a bit loose for my DD.
No velcro adjustment on this model, so...
Added a few new holes and re-stitched it tighter. She loves it now.

DD is a pitcher, and I also bought the JCV-22 33" for myself.
And I really enjoy that mitt.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD is 16U (catcher and infielder) and has been playing with my old, worn out Rawlings glove that has been repaired and re-laced more times than I can count. But she loves it because it is broken in and worn. After finally convincing her to get a new glove, I ordered no less than 10 gloves (with a cost per glove of $65- $200) for her to try with no luck - they "just didn't feel right". Even tried some used gloves. Finally ordered her a Louisville Slugger Xeno glove and she loves it!! It is all leather but has that soft feel. We are in the process of breaking it in as we speak. I would have her try lots of gloves and see what feels good to her. I live in an area without a lot of fastpitch equipment options so I order from Softball Rampage - only site that I know of that has free shipping and free returns. Here is the mitt that we bought...
Louisville Slugger FGXN14-BK125 Xeno 12.5 Inch Fastpitch Glove

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2014
We've always been a Rawlings kind of house, but there are many quality gloves out there. Best bet as already mentioned is just to try on a bunch of gloves and see which one "feels" right to her. When I was shopping for a glove for my son, I went to justgloves.com and bought about 8 different models. Double check their return policy, but I bought from them because you could return the gloves no questions asked...you could even remove the tags and start to break them in and they'll still take it back. Pretty amazing deal...I tried not to abuse the policy though. The gloves he clearly didn't like we didn't remove tags or start any kind of break in.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD is 16U (catcher and infielder) and has been playing with my old, worn out Rawlings glove that has been repaired and re-laced more times than I can count. But she loves it because it is broken in and worn. After finally convincing her to get a new mitt, I ordered no less than 10 mitts (with a cost per mitt of $65- $200) for her to try with no luck - they "just didn't feel right". Even tried some used gloves. Finally ordered her a Louisville Slugger Xeno mitt and she loves it!! It is all leather but has that soft feel. We are in the process of breaking it in as we speak. I would have her try lots of mitts and see what feels good to her. I live in an area without a lot of fastpitch equipment options so I order from Softball Rampage - only site that I know of that has free shipping and free returns. Here is the mitt that we bought...
Louisville Slugger FGXN14-BK125 Xeno 12.5 Inch Fastpitch Glove

Spoken like a catcher's mom ^^. C and 1B use a "mitt". Everyone else uses a "glove". The difference is...fingers!! ;)

For next time (if there is one), JustBallGloves.com: Baseball & Softball Gloves & More With Free Shipping also has a great return policy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse