Opinions/ areas to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
A higher quality video would be helpful to see the arm action. Meanwhile try a focus on driving to the target instead of driving to get open.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Just took a look on a desktop and her whip is better than I thought. Show her some video of Ueno, Osterman or Abbott and watch the upper arm. In all three, you'll see the upper arm lock against the ribs, almost more back than front. See if she can learn to "lock it" a little more.

Going back to drive, you might just ask her to land her plant foot a little straighter--pointed more towards the target. I also see an effort to drive up vs forward, or out.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Very good at any age.... ridiculously good for 8! keep it up
on a side note, from experience, try to restrain from commenting on every single pitch...make a small comment every 4 or 5. what will end up happening is she'll either become dependent on feedback and wont think for herself, or she'll tune you out and wont hear a thing you say.

Continue to work on resistance in pushing back and not upward, and do some backchaining I/R drills to help her in feeling more brush. But again, amazing progress so far!

Oct 16, 2014
Seems like most of the replies have been directed toward her drive out/ lower half. Its definitely an area we have struggled the most with. Trying to get her to understand she needs to push with everything she's got with her right leg has been tough. I put a piece of tape out on the mat to give her a goal to try and reach each pitch. Some of the driving up not out might be from me trying to get her to drive her knee up instead of swinging her leg out. She used to barely bent her knee. Maybe she's over doing it now?

I also see what has been mentioned here with her upper arm locking in to get more brush and whip. I was watching some slow motion video from behind her and can see her elbow outside her body. Her hand looks like its 8" away from her thigh. Never noticed it being that far out before although all the video I took of her before was from the side so not as noticeable.

Thanks again for everyones thoughts/ responses.

Darryl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1