Opinion on gloves

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2018
I’ve got another question. I’m considering the Limited JBV-SB 13.5 Inch First Base Mitt from Vinci for my daughter. She’s 14 and 5’6”-5’7” and strong. Is this too big of a glove for and the position. I never played 1st base so don’t have a clue on what she needs in a 1st base glove. Also I’ve read some negative stuff on Velcro closures, that’s what she currently has in her fielding glove, she likes the Velcro but I’m wondering if I should steer her away from that option.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I’ve got another question. I’m considering the Limited JBV-SB 13.5 Inch First Base Mitt from Vinci for my daughter. She’s 14 and 5’6”-5’7” and strong. Is this too big of a glove for and the position. I never played 1st base so don’t have a clue on what she needs in a 1st base glove. Also I’ve read some negative stuff on Velcro closures, that’s what she currently has in her fielding glove, she likes the Velcro but I’m wondering if I should steer her away from that option.

Something to keep in mind about glove sizing...it's not consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, my Akadema 12.75" glove is almost an exact size match for my DD's previous 12" Mizuno MVP Prime glove. Frm what I have gathered from Vinci people on this site, Vinci tends to run on the smaller side.

My DD is 13, and about the same size of your DD. My choice for a 1B mitt for her would be 13-13.5. 12.5 (a common baseball size) is too small, IMO. I've actually been trying to buy her a 1B mitt (her secondary position), but she refuses. She prefers to use her 12.5" fielder's glove.

Velcro is a personal preference thing. Some people don't like it. Some do. My DD is one of those that like it.

May 29, 2018
I tried 2 years ago to get her a 1b glove she was like your daughter, but this year she finally decided she wants one. It’s also her secondary position. And her current glove is Velcro as well. My only concern for ditching the Velcro is if I get her a glove that’s going to last forever I don’t want the Velcro to be the part that goes bad and ruins a really good glove.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Where is AD? he will be here shortly with all the info you may need :)

Sorry, it’s late and I’m just seeing this. jamarlatt, first off skip the velcro, get a baseball glove. I definitely prefer Rawlings HOH, and if looking for a 1B mitt, I definitely recommend a DCT pattern. Is she a RHT or a LHT?

But first I recommend contacting Drakemir here and get some options/opinions on a Vinci. He’ll steer you straight. We’ll finish this tomorrow, I’ll throw some different models at you.

May 29, 2018
ANNASDAD, thanks. I’ve been talking to Drakmir, super nice guy, and Vinci has impressed me as a company. She’s a RHT. I’ll be checking back to see what models you recommend, and thanks for the help.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
As I said last night, for a 1B mitt, the Rawlings DCT pattern (NOT to be confused with Dual Core Technology) is in my opinion the 1B pattern to go after. It's probably one of THE most copied glove patterns there is.....check out this Easton Mako that's on closeout @ Closeoutbats.com. It's a Rawlings DCT pattern made out of Kip leather, and for a $100, pretty hard deal to beat!
CloseoutBats.com:Sale! Buy Easton Mako Limited Edition 12.75" MAKO38B (2016) REVIEWS: FREE SHIPPING Style Right Hand Throw Left Hand Throw Glove Size 12.75 Sport Baseball Position 1st Base Mitt

Also there's the Paul Goldschmidt HOH, I think the newest retail model is the ProDCTJB, Justballgloves.com had the older version, the ProDCTJBT for $199.99 not too long ago. Great 1B mitt!

Drakemir sold two different Optimus models to two sisters on our HS team, one was a 1B mitt, sorry I don't know the model, maybe he can chime in? It was a very nice mitt, I worked on it one day at practice getting it ready, the one sister who used it loved it, she was very happy with it!

As far as a 12" to 12.5" pitchers glove, tons of options!

I love the 12" Rawlings Pro206-9JB with the two-piece solid web, a pure pitchers glove! If your DD doesn't like the solid web, check out the 12" Pro206-6JTB with an H-web, my DD pitches and plays SS and uses a Pro206-6CB, loves it!

Another option is to get Drakemir to make you a hybrid Vinci Optimus BV1929-L like the one he sold Tatonka, very cool glove! Listed at 12.5" but everyone says it tapes out at 12.25". Or a standard retail BV1929-L with a basket web (yuck:cool:) would be another perfect option as well, ask around a hundred people here about it!

Also check out the Mizuno Pro-Select series, great gloves that are easily on par with any HOH or A2000! There's a black 12" pitchers model with a basket web (again...yuck) it's a GPS1BK-100DT, this one would work as well.

I'm slammed at work, trying to get ready to go on vacation, you know how that goes........I'll check back later.

Edit: if you want her to be the coolest kid in the circle, check out the Rawlings XPG6. It's a throwback Mickey Mantle exclusive sold only at Don Morton's. Made out of Code 55 dry Horween leather, this model has the Wing-Tip back, so the hand stall will probably be too big for her, plus it'll take a solid year (or more) to break in! Those Horween Don Morton exclusives are as good as a ball glove gets!!!
https://www.ballgloves.com/rawlings-xpg6-baseball-glove-horween-leather-right-hand-throw/

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
Just my 2 cents but if you bought a glove and you are hoping it will last for 4 years, you bought the wrong glove. A good glove should last you way longer than that. You may have to have it re-strung but should still be in good shape. My daughter, a pitcher and outfielder, has an $80 Mizuno that I got her for $40 and it is on it's 3rd year and going strong. We play over 100 games a year and practice twice a week not counting pitching lessons and sessions. We were looking at gloves the other day and I told her that next year if she wants a new glove she can get one, she said she likes the one she has now and would wait.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Something to keep in mind about glove sizing...it's not consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, my Akadema 12.75" glove is almost an exact size match for my DD's previous 12" Mizuno MVP Prime glove. Frm what I have gathered from Vinci people on this site, Vinci tends to run on the smaller side.

My DD is 13, and about the same size of your DD. My choice for a 1B mitt for her would be 13-13.5. 12.5 (a common baseball size) is too small, IMO. I've actually been trying to buy her a 1B mitt (her secondary position), but she refuses. She prefers to use her 12.5" fielder's glove.

Velcro is a personal preference thing. Some people don't like it. Some do. My DD is one of those that like it.

My DD is nearly 16, and about 5'6". She uses a 12.5 inch 1B glove very effectively. I worried a bit about it being too small, but it's really not. The full-sized 13-13.5 inch gloves would probably be too big unless she grew a couple more inches.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018
Thank you everyone. I have been talking with drakemir. He current fielding glove is still good, just a couple years old. I just figured if I’m buying 1 glove might as well get her 2 really good ones and not have to worry about it for a long time. I really appreciate all the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi