Open to everyones thoughts...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2009
My 10u DD has always had a pretty good swing, of course its been a work in progress like most, but always in the 2-3-4 hole on a good team, but now she hits the top of the ball on I would say appx 17-18 times out of 20..even on the tee. I dont have a video camera yet..not sure if I did that I could tell her what shes doing wrong...but she hits the extreme top of the ball knocking it down to the ground with major top spin and of course an easy out...Im all ears.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
My 10u DD has always had a pretty good swing, of course its been a work in progress like most, but always in the 2-3-4 hole on a good team, but now she hits the top of the ball on I would say appx 17-18 times out of 20..even on the tee. I dont have a video camera yet..not sure if I did that I could tell her what shes doing wrong...but she hits the extreme top of the ball knocking it down to the ground with major top spin and of course an easy out...Im all ears.

When was the last time she had her vision checked?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
My 12 yo DD started wearing contacts around x-mas 2009. The biggest adjustment I see
is she no longer lunges at the ball. Her hits the last couple months are solid lazer liners
up the middle and to LC. Watch the follow thru on her swing as well. Without a video,
it is anyone's guess

Nov 9, 2009
My 12 yo DD started wearing contacts around x-mas 2009. The biggest adjustment I see
is she no longer lunges at the ball. Her hits the last couple months are solid lazer liners
up the middle and to LC. Watch the follow thru on her swing as well. Without a video,
it is anyone's guess

I know..Im going to get one soon. Wasnt sure if there were a couple well known things to check for until I can. Thanks.

Nov 9, 2009
When was the last time she had her vision checked?

Prolly the routine one they get in first grade. SHe catches and is top of her game there and she rarely strikes out, almost always makes contact which is why she stays up high n the order, shes hitting the ball at every at bat but n the exact same and wrong spot. I guess I should have them checked so I can rule that out. Thanks for the insight..no pun intended.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Buy those Total Control Balls. I am working with a young lady that was topping the ball and she corrected herself, after hitting those.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here are a couple of things to consider -

Is she swinging down on the ball?

Where do you position the tee? To far out front can cause a topping because her swing is already moving up instead of through, too deep and the bat may be moving down in it's path.

Is she swinging level to the ground without addjusting bat angle and posture to adjust to the pitch?

Does she make a wrist move just before contact like a roll or push? sometimes this can change the plane of the bat at the last moment effecting clean contact.

An effective drill might be backward chaining from the tee. Have her start at the ideal point of contact and then slowly move back to the launch position, then try to retrace that path with a swing. If effective you can do similar in front toss with very controlled pitch location.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Buy those Total Control Balls. I am working with a young lady that was topping the ball and she corrected herself, after hitting those.

I like having a target area to hit in and at.

If the tee is centered to the target it should go exactly up the middle provided they measured off the plate from the same place and their stride is consistent.

All my balls are marked with an arrow <l that is colored and the arrow head faces the pitcher as a reminder to keep the hands inside the path of the ball and as a target as the arrow is in the middle of the ball.

Now any adjustments made can easily be seen as to the target area of the net.

For example if the ball is going below the 39 inch line I would suspect she might be pushing the bat with the top hand and the hand and elbow are not stacked or lined up as she is turning the corner in my opinion.

The lead elbow may not be making a good first move and is not moving forward and up like it is going up a ramp and is only going forward.

If the ball goes above the target line and stays below the 51 inch line then what she is doing can be seen at once and what ever it is you are working on is being understood by her.

If the ball is going left of the center line possibly the knob of the bat is not traveling far enough forward before the barrel is released to the ball and if she makes an attempt to release the barrel a little later and you see it hit in the center again she must be feeling what you are describing as she is hitting the target area.

Some times what we say has different meanings and each hitter feels or interprets it a little differently however the end result is where did the ball go after you explained it?

I will say what ever you just felt do it again as the results were perfect!

Put her in front of a mirror and hold a ball that would be high in the zone and ask her to bring the bat to contact and see what it looks like.

Then repeat for a drop ball.

Point out the elbow is above the plane of the pitch, the hands are below the elbow and there is an angle to the bat head. It is to what degree the angle is as to the height of the ball however it is relevant as to height. The lower the pitch the more angle is required.

This visual some times help make the adjustments as to what the elbows must do to get the bat head on the plane of the pitch faster.

Thanks Howard

Nov 9, 2009
Thanks Hitter, Love the arrowhead idea (afterall she is still a kid ;) you have given us a plan for this evening. Big Texas thankya!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse