One arm drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
FFS, good posts and good stuff to consider.

No one handers with bottom hand? A detriment or just not enough benefit?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS, good posts and good stuff to consider.

No one handers with bottom hand? A detriment or just not enough benefit?

One-arm bottom-hand swings are often used in large group settings as part of a station rotation.

Almost always, when I see a kid left on a tee unsupervised for a minute or more, they end up performing one-arm bottom-hand swings in a manner that detracts from their swing.

I recall a discussion I had with Doc Yeager in which I commented that in all the DVDs he sent me, that I had yet to see a hitter working on one-arm bottom-hand swings ... but I had seen numerous occurrences of one-arm top-hand swings. He informed me that was not an accident ... he didn't believe in performing one-arm bottom-hand swings.

For the most part I agree with Doc Yeager on this. One-arm bottom-hand swings can be destructive.

That said ... under close continual supervision, I'm fine with explaining a portion of the lead arm functionality using one-arm bottom-hand swings and mixing in normal two-hand swings.

All too often, I'll see kids warming up and performing one-arm bottom-hand swings ... they get to chatting, or for whatever reason they lose focus on what they should be doing, or they don't truly know what they should be doing, ... and they attempt to drive the ball repeatedly ... pulling with their lead shoulder ... not understanding how the swing initiates ... not understanding bottom hand usage through impact ... often not understanding the height the tee should be placed at or even where it should be placed at ... and not understanding how the body's resulting rotation should occur with a one-hand bottom-hand swing ... and in essence causing me to cringe and pray that they complete their particular swing drills before they actually embed something hateful into their normal swing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach