Once again Rose gets shafted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I can understand that. My DD loves the game. She loves playing short stop, enjoys 1B and 3B. But even though she's still very young, she's a pitcher. She'd pitch every game if she could. If she made a great team but wasn't going to be pitching I think she'd be disappointed too.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... when she found out she made V she wasn't as happy as I thought she would be, because she so wanted the JV spot to be the number 1 pitcher for once.

Normal reaction for many, and I don't blame her for it.

That said, I find that many travel ball players need to be taught what school ball is about and how it's fundamentally different than travel ball. Not the quality of play, which is obvious, but the purpose and objective of school ball.

Travel ball is about what a team can do for you. School ball is about what you can do for a team.

I know it's not always clear-cut like that, nor suggesting there aren't travel teams whose players truly sacrifice. Just speaking in general terms. Travel ball tends to be largely selfish and individualistic. Players are looking for the team that fits what they want. If you don't like your playing time, or your role on the team, you find another team. You'll leave a winning team to find a team that allows you to meet your individual goals. Nothing wrong with that. It's the business of it.

School ball, on the other hand, is idealistic. You're playing for something bigger than yourself. You sacrifice for the greater good. Which is all ironic given that the quality of play is much higher in travel ball on average.

I suspect it's harder nowadays to get some kids to understand or buy into that because of the prevalence of the selfish world of travel ball. Maybe some real school-ball coaches can speak on that.

PS - To the OP, I'm not writing this about your DD. Sounds like she's going to be happy and proud to be a varsity 3B. I'm just broaching a larger subject.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Normal reaction for many, and I don't blame her for it.

That said, I find that many travel ball players need to be taught what school ball is about and how it's fundamentally different than travel ball. Not the quality of play, which is obvious, but the purpose and objective of school ball.

Travel ball is about what a team can do for you. School ball is about what you can do for a team.

I know it's not always clear-cut like that, nor suggesting there aren't travel teams whose players truly sacrifice. Just speaking in general terms. Travel ball tends to be largely selfish and individualistic. Players are looking for the team that fits what they want. If you don't like your playing time, or your role on the team, you find another team. You'll leave a winning team to find a team that allows you to meet your individual goals. Nothing wrong with that. It's the business of it.

School ball, on the other hand, is idealistic. You're playing for something bigger than yourself. You sacrifice for the greater good. Which is all ironic given that the quality of play is much higher in travel ball on average.

I suspect it's harder nowadays to get some kids to understand or buy into that because of the prevalence of the selfish world of travel ball. Maybe some real school-ball coaches can speak on that.

PS - To the OP, I'm not writing this about your DD. Sounds like she's going to be happy and proud to be a varsity 3B. I'm just broaching a larger subject.

That's really well put, And I thank you for saying it! When you put it that way, it makes me look at it in a whole new light.

Also she gets more time to work on her mechanics, which she would've put on hold if she were going to be pitching a lot.

And she gets to play varsity ball as a freshman.

I came here to rant but instead my view of the situation has been completely changed.

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Jun 18, 2010
Our HS pitchers often times throw to live hitters. Perhaps she could ask to throw live batting practice. She gets more experience throwing to batters, and the hitters get to see live pitching. This also acts as a platform for her to showcase her talents to the HS coaches.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Thank you all for putting it in perspective, I really should be happy she made V.I just want her to be happy.

A little tough love:

Don't continually make your kid out as a victim.

Step back, and do *NOT* involve yourself with where she plays and how many innings she gets. Let her fight her own battles for playing time and positions.

Show confidence that she can handle the situation *WITHOUT YOU*...not by words, but by your actions of staying out of it.

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I believe you. Sounds like a great kid. But, if she's really the player who is going to do what is asked of her, then why this ...

IMO, players should join high school teams to help accomplish team goals set forth by the high school coach, not personal goals (ie, to get more circle time). It's only human to want to play a certain position, and that's fine, but ultimately, it's the player's responsibility to serve the team first.

I'll tell you why she went to him, because he has told the girls many times to come to him to talk he said it twice this week he says it a lot. He wants them to come and vent and yell at him if they want to (his words) He wants them to be honest with their feeling and be able to talk to him about anything. He's also said he likes his players to "have some sass" he likes when they get a little sassy with him again his words not mine. So when she was upset about getting bumped up the varsity to play 3rd, I said "go talk to him"
instead of stewing on it and hating him, she went to talk to him. She said she started with "I respect and trust your decision but I'm upset that I'm not going to get to pitch and I just want you to know how much I want it" he told her too bad, so sad grow a thicker skin and get over it. She actually went to him again after that and talked to him again, which I'm glad because Rose is very shy she doesn't say crap even if she's got a mouthful. I'm glad she's learning to speak up for herself, (she's always been able to talk to her teachers, that's because she's confident in her academics,
she super smart) but when it comes to everything else she's shy

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'll tell you why she went to him, because he has told the girls many times to come to him to talk he said it twice this week he says it a lot. He wants them to come and vent and yell at him if they want to (his words) He wants them to be honest with their feeling and be able to talk to him about anything. He's also said he likes his players to "have some sass" he likes when they get a little sassy with him again his words not mine. So when she was upset about getting bumped up the varsity to play 3rd, I said "go talk to him"
instead of stewing on it and hating him, she went to talk to him. She said she started with "I respect and trust your decision but I'm upset that I'm not going to get to pitch and I just want you to know how much I want it" he told her too bad, so sad grow a thicker skin and get over it. She actually went to him again after that and talked to him again, which I'm glad because Rose is very shy she doesn't say crap even if she's got a mouthful. I'm glad she's learning to speak up for herself, (she's always been able to talk to her teachers, that's because she's confident in her academics,
she super smart) but when it comes to everything else she's shy

Good for her! If nothing else, he now has a little seed planted in the coach's head that she wants to pitch. Maybe that seed will sprout and grow.