Once again Rose gets shafted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
We were so excited for this HS season! We live in a small town, not many dedicated softball players. My dd is one of 3 pitchers in the entire softball program. We have an already committed player with tendinitis in her elbow real bad, she's a good pitcher, she's not going to college to pitch but to play 3rd base and might get to pitch. She's our number 1 on Varsity. We have to have 2 pitchers on V so number 2 on varsity was going to be the girl that pitched in Rec league she's faster then my kid with decent control, no work ethic, just gets pitching without having to try very hard. Lucky girl that probably won't play college ball because she's lazy and uncoachable (we've all tried) doesn't really care if she plays HS or not she doesn't play TB. Then there's my kid she's a decent pitcher with no mound experience! She works her rear off, softball is her life. Every coach that's ever had her has said they love her attitude, work ethic, and that she coachable. She going to do what is asked of her and then some (unless your trying to change her pitching mechanics, she knows more then most HS coaches about pitching mechanics) she's a good pitcher we played 14U travel ball last season it was only NSA level the two games they let her pitch a full game we won (and we didn't win many games) they were notorious for putting her in once we were already down 12-0, 15-0 and expecting her to perform a freaking miracle, when I tell you she gets the shaft I'm not exaggerating. But that's another topic. she's a good pitcher especially at the JV level she could really get some good mound time and have some success that could build up her confidence.

what does HC do? He moves her up to varsity to play 3rd base. Remember we only have three pitchers total for the entire program. He's asking me to train one of the freshman to pitch. ...really

Wouldn't it be easier to train someone to play 3rd base? My dd hasn't been playin 3rd base long less then a year? I don't get it? Yea that means she the number 2 pitcher on varsity but his number 1 pitched every inning of every game last year so I know she won't get any mound time, she will be playing 3rd base.

Is it just me that thinks taking a pitcher and using them for 3rd when we only have 3 pitchers and training someone that has never pitched before to have a spot is a jerk move?

He has other options for third on varsity, a freshman that has played more TB then my dd plays third and catches (he's only got one catcher on V) he's got seniors returning that can play third better then my kid.

I have talked to him, he says he is playing to win a championship and he thinks Rose at third will get him there.

She went to him to talk and let him know how important pitching us to her and how much time she spends on her own (which he already knows this because I coach with him we talk) , he said she would play where he needs her and that's 3rd base.

normally an incoming freshman wouldn't get many innings but Under the circumstances of having only 3 pitchers for both JV and V. She should get plenty of pitching time but looks like once again she will not.

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Jun 18, 2010
I may have misunderstood, but the way I read your post is your DD is a freshman.

If she's a freshman, I wouldn't worry about it. If your coach has limited options at key positions, he may be trying to hold things together without ruffling too many feathers. Making varsity as a freshman is a huge honor at DD's school. I think there are several lessons your DD can learn from this, 1) it's a team sport, do what she can do for the team 2) life is not always fair, make the best out of the situation 3) it's just HS ball, go, have fun, enjoy the experience 4) keep working to get better, turn this into a challenge to her to become so good she can't be overlooked.

Just my .02

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
So, you're complaining when the Varsity coach has enough faith in your dd to put her at 3B? 3B is a very important position for varsity softball.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Every coach that's ever had her has said they love her attitude, work ethic, and that she coachable. She going to do what is asked of her and then some.

I believe you. Sounds like a great kid. But, if she's really the player who is going to do what is asked of her, then why this ...

She went to him to talk and let him know how important pitching us to her and how much time she spends on her own (which he already knows this because I coach with him we talk).

IMO, players should join high school teams to help accomplish team goals set forth by the high school coach, not personal goals (ie, to get more circle time). It's only human to want to play a certain position, and that's fine, but ultimately, it's the player's responsibility to serve the team first.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
If your DD is asked to play 3rd for varsity and coach really thinks she can help win a title, take it.

1. If your DD wants to pitch, keep taking lessons and practicing pitching. The break will come somewhere, sometime. It's a long process.

2. There's still TB. Pitching there would probably do more for her college prospects than HS anyway.

3. Are you being realistic about your DD's skill level? Why isn't she getting circle time in TB? My DD has been through this. One team just wouldn't let her pitch. (DD was a little slow, but always effective; this coach loved speed above all. DD played lots at SS.) When the season was over, we moved to another team, and been pitching since. And she continues to improve. Patience and steady commitment.

4. For many college coaches, value of HS seems to be as much about socialization and handling different kinds of coaches. Probably not great to have "uncooperative" coming from any coach.

Stay the course. Enjoy the ride. Be proud of your 3b who also is learning to pitch.

Last edited:

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
She might LOVE 3rd base! She may develop at this spot and never look back. This shouldn't stop her from doing what she loves to do though. Ride it out through this season keep working hard and let those pitches rip through travel ball season!

Sep 29, 2014
Keep practicing and make sure she is ready for TB. You never know what might happen, it probably would have been better to start every JV game and get the experience but just go with it for a couple months, just tell her to keep working hard. Starting 3B on Varsity is rarely ever a shaft; especially given the starting job is locked down by a committed pitcher anyway, unless you want to lobby to have your DD play JV; so what does your DD think?

It is tough as a HS coach and many times things don't make sense, I heard the story more than once and have seen it on my DD team a girl is stuck pitching JV watching a girl getting Varsity pitching time even though in two month she is going to be leading her travel team in wiping the floor with said "varsity" pitcher.

HS ball is more about Life lessons than Softball lessons.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2014
Upper Midwest
I'd echo what others replied and add, you never know how these things will work out. My daughters and I never rooted harder for a player than when Shelby Pendley came in to pitch.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Yea that means she the number 2 pitcher on varsity but his number 1 pitched every inning of every game last year so I know she won't get any mound time
So, you are saying that you would rather your DD sit on the bench then start 3rd base.

Someone needs a Taco....
TacoDance.gif

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
So, you are saying that you would rather your DD sit on the bench then start 3rd base.

Someone needs a Taco....
TacoDance.gif

lol, I know as I was writing it actually thought to myself "really I'm whining about dd being on varsity as a freshman". I was actually pretty excited to hear she made Varsity, when she found out she made V she wasn't as happy as I thought she would be, because she so wanted the JV spot to be the number 1 pitcher for once.

I know my dd has a long way to go with pitching but the teams we play on do not have any studs she's number 2 pitcher on out TB team but the coach brings in guest pitcher almost every tourney. Sucks

Thank you all for putting it in perspective, I really should be happy she made V.I just want her to be happy.

And our JV Team is made up of players that have never played or have only played Rec ball. I think she thought she was going to be the shoe in for the JV pitcher and is bummed that it's not gonna happen

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild