On Deck

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
So my oldest DD aged out of 14 u and was selected to play on a 16 gold exposure team, The On deck recruiting camp is coming to town and the team is suggesting we go and get Measured and list on the site. The coach stated he is already getting calls from coaches and recruiters about our team. I do know there are other services like this so I would like to ask the DFPers out there who have been down this road is this a good option or should I look at another similar service. How necessary is this to a 9th grader. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Mods if this thread is better in a different area please feel free to move it.
Thanks in advance.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD has done two of the OnDeck recruiting camps and has had a positive experience, but she is a pitcher, and pitchers seem to garner a lot of attention at these types of events. It is much more difficult for a position player to stand out unless they can hit BOMBs in batting practice. If the cost is not a problem go for it, especially if it is local, with no travel costs. Otherwise you might want to wait until some position players who have done it respond.

Apr 14, 2011
IMO what JAD says is accurate. Those types of camps cater to those with high marks in a measurable skill. If your DD isn't a pitcher throwing over 60; speedster; or one who hits bombs; its hard to stand out. That being said, On Deck has a very good reputation. If cost and travel isn't a problem it probably won't hurt to go.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
DD went to one of their "tryouts". The folks that run it are very well known to college coaches. That being said, it seemed a little too "coincidental" that at least 85% of the girls that "made the cut for a future jamboree" were all from the local organization that hosted the camp.

As with anything recruiting related, do your homework and remember that your player is still ultimately responsible for her own career if college softball is what she wants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877