Old School

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2014
I am new to this site and have shared a few opinions from my experiences and been shot down like rabid dog. It is amazing how things have changed in just a short time. My DD is a 21 year old senior in college and in her years of learning how to pitch, she or I have never heard of most of the technical aspects of pitching that are talked about on these threads. I thought some of you are building the bionic girl. I was hoping that when she was done she would coach young pitchers but if she ever read these threads I think she would be amazed.
Questions: I know velocity of pitchers will differ, but what kind of ultimate velocity are you looking at for your DDs. Will the IR technique get the girls closer to the 70s in college or is it more about the spin?
If any of you have young men pitching baseball is there as much going into it as it seems is going into the girls pitching?
Also , I have mentioned this before, I'm no doctor but it seems like there are elbow injuries on the horizon.

These are the kind of stuff that has me baffled Do you people really understand these things?

" It ALSO must be trained to pass kinetic energy from the proximal to the distal parts of the sequence."

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
You think this stuff is mind boggling? Go hang out in the technical hitting forum a little bit, your head will spin! What I like about the pitching section is that all the top minds are basically on the same page and teach the same stuff. Hitting is a war zone! Good luck

Jun 26, 2010
These are the kind of stuff that has me baffled Do you people really understand these things?

" It ALSO must be trained to pass kinetic energy from the proximal to the distal parts of the sequence."

Nope don't understand it at all most of the time. The beauty is that with all the knowledge on this board and if you read the whole thread someone will explain it or post a video that causes the light bulb to go on. I can't remember how many times I read IR in the Classroom before I really got it. But glad I did because DD is much better off.

Feb 26, 2013
Putting a lot of words on something and fascination about the end of the arm/release in pitching underhand is nothing new and it typically brings nothing new. (I share that fascination.) Adults have done this since helicoptering sports began. Then they make rules about it. IR are the rules for this board (palm up at the 9 whatever point on the clock, completely turning the palm over at release). HE is the plague that are trying to cure (and prevent!!) so it must "be everywhere," which is another forced method from the prior helicopter generation that I never heard of before this board. I personally feel this stuff is to make board posters feel good about something they never did or don't understand, and not practical for young pitchers.

Pitching was fine and is fine, if you just let the pitchers pitch; I do wish they emulated others by going to games. Let the pitchers develop a bit on the natural path and not replacing one forced method with another.

I am not sure what you mean about elbow injuries but yes, the emphasis on isolated arm drills does cause overuse, and yes some posters have posted about unhealthy results.

The world of softball is actually taking place in many sites: Hillhouse, Scarborough, Coach at a Click.
My dad played. There is video of pitching in the 70s on this site. Old school does not mean HE or bowling. That presumes slow pitching and that everyone did that until. But even when I started coaching back in the day, the pitchers could bring it.

Jul 4, 2012
As someone on the hitting forum might say... it comes down to your interest level. Pass over it if it's too technical.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Gronk, the stuff discussed here is not "new school." Rather, posters like BM have coached softball for years and years. He has credentials that most will never achieve. Also, the idea of HE is not what was taught everywhere. Please find below my dd pitching in 2008 when she was 14 years old.

Attachments

• Brianna 2008 Tomahawks #2 resize.jpg
    Brianna 2008 Tomahawks #2 resize.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 226
Jul 14, 2008
Grenade!!!!

5lox8l.gif

sd1w8l.gif

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...Pitching was fine and is fine, if you just let the pitchers pitch...

How can you make such a statement given all of your rhetoric regarding overuse injuries? No need for proper instruction, just learn by doing? I guess your statement supports your agenda, but fails the smell test. Any wonder so many pitchers are in desperate need of competent instruction. Your statement is obviously from under the bridge.

True some of the information on this board is difficult to comprehend. But once understood a rational person would be hard pressed to argue that it does not make sense. But some who frequent here are so close minded and invested in their dogma that an old dog cannot possibly earn new tricks. Their response is to claim information or a method is irrelevant or insignificant. However, many of the individuals who contribute actual value to this board have developed more than a few elite level pitchers. They are true students of the game and fastpitch is better for it. Their results speak volumes for their efforts and knowledge.

Then there are some other individuals who frequent this board who have a closed minded approach to learning. Some of these other individuals also display a preoccupation with a sexist agenda and tirelessly promote a victim mentality. Unfortunately, these other individuals will never move beyond their very limited coaching abilities. They are here not to learn, but rather to prove they are right and obtain self validation for their views. It truly unfortunate especially for those in their charge. Young ladies with a love of the game who could benefit greatly from competent instruction. Instruction which these others individuals cannot possibly provide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877