Official 2017 World Series Thread-Sponsored by high ticket prices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Great story. I chose the wrong year to be studying overseas, in the fall of '86. We got to watch the games with on a VCR with cassettes flown in from the US. Damn, do I feel old.

I feel your pain.

I really loved watching the 76ers of the Dr J era play, but they seemed to always choke against Boston or L.A.

One year after college I was overseas, in Taiwan, which the US had recently derecognized, and all the American troops were pulled out (the latter was probably much better for the country in the long run). So what had been the Armed Forces Radio was taken over by some British expats. Every day they would have sports news, including cricket matches ad nauseum. I have no idea what an over is. At the end they might put in some American sports news if they had the time. Of course, they completely neglected to mention the NBA finals. It wasn't until months later I discovered the Sixers had swept the Lakers.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
So far offense can pretty much be summed up with one word Dingers!

Hard to imagine, way, way back in the Dead Ball Era, a pitcher (!) for the Red Sox tied the AL lead in HR with 7.

That was that pitcher's third season in the Majors. First season he lead the AL in ERA, second season led the AL in wins, third season with only 7 dingers tied for the AL lead in HR.

Anyone who can't figure out the name of that pitcher needs to go back to t-ball.

HINT: He had the record for most consecutive scoreless innings in WS games.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
He also had the 2nd lowest ERA of any pitcher over the time he was a pitcher though I think he did OK moving to the OF full time. Everyone thinks of him as RF but he actually played nearly as much in LF. Didn't like looking into the sun on fly balls so he would play which ever was the "better sun field"

But hey that was an entertaining game last night.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Weird things can happen in a baseball game.

I remember, September 1980, watching a Phillies game on Channel 17 in Philadelphia.

One of the announcers, Tim McCarver, left the broadcast booth, suited up, came in as a pinch hitter and got the game winning RBI. Hit a double.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccarti01.shtml

"He retired after the 1979 season to begin a broadcasting career. McCarver briefly returned to duty in September 1980, thus becoming one of only 29 players in baseball history to date to appear in Major League games in four different decades (1950s, 1960s, 1970s and 1980s). He caught 121 shutouts during his career, ranking him 9th all-time among major league catchers.[5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_McCarver#Later_career

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00