Offense vs Defense

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I spent some time yesterday looking the the ODM numbers for a few of the OnDeck tryouts from last year. The kids that scored in the 90s are always fast. The highest speed numbers always have the highest scores. The highest power numbers are never the highest scores. Speed is weighted more important there I think.

What are ODM numbers?

Mar 8, 2016
I am a little to close to the first baseman defense question. DD plays 1B. She always has been placed there because she is a very tall lefty. 1B is definitely an under appreciated defensive position. We like to say anyone can play 1B but not everyone is a first baseman. DD has 2 dropped throws in her last 200 games. Over the last four years she has improved catching bouncing throws form 0% to ~25% to ~50% to ~75%. Pitcher and infielder parents like to see her on first. One thing I have noticed is that umpires like to give the close call to the defense on a good play by the fielder and a good stretch by the first baseman. She is also quick on bunt coverage. Unfortunately DD only hit .450 and slugged .650 last year. She has good speed and a strong arm. I am pretty sure she needs to learn to play a corner outfield spot if she wants to play at the next level.

Jan 31, 2011
There are lots of good comments and observations in this thread. My opinions are:
1) Speed kills & you can't teach it. On offense, speed can help manufacture runs. On defense, that certain outfielder with wheels can keep you in a game.
2) Its tough to give an opposing team 4-5 outs per inning due to errors and still win games, so solid defense is high on my list. How many games are lost because of a big 2 out RBI hit right after an error that would have ended an inning?
3) Of course, there is no substitution for timely hits.
4) Its all about pitching at every level! lol

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I am a little to close to the first baseman defense question. DD plays 1B. She always has been placed there because she is a very tall lefty. 1B is definitely an under appreciated defensive position. We like to say anyone can play 1B but not everyone is a first baseman. DD has 2 dropped throws in her last 200 games. Over the last four years she has improved catching bouncing throws form 0% to ~25% to ~50% to ~75%. Pitcher and infielder parents like to see her on first. One thing I have noticed is that umpires like to give the close call to the defense on a good play by the fielder and a good stretch by the first baseman. She is also quick on bunt coverage. Unfortunately DD only hit .450 and slugged .650 last year. She has good speed and a strong arm. I am pretty sure she needs to learn to play a corner outfield spot if she wants to play at the next level.

If you are not a big slugger, you generally need to be a great first baseman to play there in college. A great first baseman makes the rest of the infield much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish