Offense or defense?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2012
Which is more important? I personally love watching great defense - smooth double plays, tracking down a deep OF gap ball, throwing out the runner at the plate on a fly ball - just love it! Seems like most coaches value offense more than defense, though. I understand you can't win a game without offense, but poor defense will lose a game. Opinions?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was surprised this year that DD was known for her defense, she is pretty good. Offense she is just good.

I think she is in trouble moving to another Team. Offense!

Just since you said you like defense so much for your viewing pleasure:

It is always a mixed bag you can really teach someone either skill but hitting does seem to usually trump defense as long as you play well enough in the field not to be a liability, you have to be able make all the routine/expected plays.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Give me solid bats and I'll teach the field.

I'll take two good pitchers and catchers as well while you are asking.

Jul 26, 2010
Defense takes coordination and communication with the entire team, so you will often see a larger percentage of team practice focused on defense. Offense, with the exception of base running, can be practiced individually and is often expected to be practiced individually outside of team practice.

The old saying holds true: Offense wins games, defense wins championships. That means you need both. You can have a bunch of great hitters and have fun playing softball, but if your team wants to go far, they will need to be able to play solid, error-free ball when the pressure is on.

Every team is different though. If you have a B ball team where the kids aren't taking individual hitting lessons, then the coach has to figure out a way to teach 13 kids how to hit. Most A ball teams have players who take individual hitting lessons, so the coach only has to provide an environment to get repetition in hitting situations, which goes by a lot faster then actually teaching how to hit.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi