Off season bat ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I would like to pick up a cheap bat for winter practice and workouts.

How detrimental would it be to use a bat 1 oz heaver for workouts? Or may lighter, longer, or shorter?

Would there be any benefits?

Or should I stick to exactly the same size and weight as her game bat?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Good question. My DD is currently swinging a 29/17.5, and is having good success with it. At Play-It-Again Sports this weekend, I picked up a 30/21 for $5. She did some front toss hitting with it, and was swinging much slower than usual (no surprise), but was still making good contact. Going back to her game bat, she said it felt like a stick. Although it's a big jump in weight, I think it might be useful in the upcoming Winter off-season to build strength before going to a 30/19 or 30/20 for the Spring season.

If this is a bad idea, someone please tell me so I don't do more damage than good.

Aug 3, 2013
My daughters game bat is a 29/16. Her practice bat that she uses during off season is a 29/19. It has helped her as far as I can see. Stronger forearms/wrists. Also, we will rotate and use the pro cut bat weight to help with the fast twitch muscles. So not only swinging the heavier bat but also swinging with the pro cut. Just picked up a new game bat 30/19 and she adjusted fairly easily to the extra 3 oz and 1 inch.

Jun 24, 2013
If you take 2 bats of different makes, the exact same length/ drop will seem to weight different amounts. You would think 2 32 oz. bats would weight 32oz but …..

DD has a bat 1 inch longer with the same drop, just because I got I cheap.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
DD cycles 3 heavy bats. 4B 33/10 RT 33/9 and RT 34/9 (practice only). RT's are quite a bit heavier than their drops. You can see the muscles building. 10 swings each before batting practice.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would caution against swinging a bat that is too heavy for the player. Bad habits and injuries can occur if the bat is too heavy or there are too many repetitions.

Oct 19, 2009
DD uses a cheap Wal-Mart bat that is the same length as her game bat and is 2 ounces heavier, IMO it is a benefit for her. DD is 601 a country girl and can handle the extra 2 ounces without a problem. I started her using it to save the game bat for games. The sweet spot is smaller and I tape a white duct tape to the sweet spot to give her a reference for a contact point.

IMO as long as she can swing the extra weight without mechanics suffering, there should be no problem. A too heavy bat for a kid can cause a breakdown in mechanics and may cause injury.

Remember that when a bat says it’s XX ounces does not mean it is that weight, bats from different manufactures reported to weigh the same can weigh ounces different.

Straightleg recommended The Pro-cut bat weight that fits on the end of the bat, I’ve seen some colleges use them although I personally have never used them, I do like the concept.

Pro Cut Bat Weight

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I have yet to see an injury due to a bat being too heavy. What type of injury would occur?

What would be considered too heavy? I don't see an ounce being an issue maybe 3 or more.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Remember that when a bat says it’s XX ounces does not mean it is that weight, bats from different manufactures reported to weigh the same can weigh ounces different.

Straightleg recommended The Pro-cut bat weight that fits on the end of the bat, I’ve seen some colleges use them although I personally have never used them, I do like the concept.

Pro Cut Bat Weight

I plan to weigh the bat that way I will know exactly how it will compare to the game bat. I've notice balance is a real issue also or my dd has.

I like the pro cut wt but at 30-40$ they sure are expensive.

Mar 29, 2012
DD's game batis a 31/20 CF6, I let her use her backup 31/20 CF5 for tee work, but in the cage she uses a 31/20 cat osterman.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC