Odd call was it right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
What call is there to make? As an umpire I would prefer the on deck batter to stay as far away from home plate as possible. There is enough going on when a potential play is about to occur to have to worry about another body suddenly appearing in front of you. Rules state the on deck batter may leave the circle to direct a runner advancing from 3rd to home, says nothing about clearing a bat.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If the on-deck batter had actually interfered with a play at the plate (ie: an actual attempt by the defense to record an out) then you would have a case for interference. Since that didn't happen, there's no call to be made here. Play on, without penalty.

Feb 3, 2011
I'm trying to figure out what the question is here, given that there was no play being made. Are you concerned that there was contact between the on-deck batter and the runner?

Jun 22, 2008
Runner that scored was called out. Runners ended up 2nd and 3rd. Told to go back to 1st and 2nd. Umpire said this slight, and it was slight, brush constituted assisting a runner. This game went into extra innings.

Talk about totally blowing a rule all the way around. First off it is a heck of a stretch to call an on deck batter brushing against a runner assistance. Further even if it was it is not a dead ball. If the umpire rules it was assistance by someone other than another runner the ball remains live and the runner who was assisted is out.

And high giving a runner as they go past is not assistance.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Umpire said this slight, and it was slight, brush constituted assisting a runner.

This is literally one of the stupidest rulings I've ever heard.

I've seen this called when the 3rd base coach high 5's the runner that is on her way home.

I've heard this happen quite a few times. It only ranks as about the fifth stupidest ruling I've ever heard, just because it's a common rule MYTH that pops up fairly often. But it's still dumb...

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
What call is there to make? As an umpire I would prefer the on deck batter to stay as far away from home plate as possible. There is enough going on when a potential play is about to occur to have to worry about another body suddenly appearing in front of you. Rules state the on deck batter may leave the circle to direct a runner advancing from 3rd to home, says nothing about clearing a bat.

I guess this supports my argument for the plate umpire clearing the bat if he can do so safely, carefully and cautiously.

Jun 22, 2008
I guess this supports my argument for the plate umpire clearing the bat if he can do so safely, carefully and cautiously.

Not sure how that supports your argument for the umpire clearing the bat. Ive got enough to watch with multiple runners to worry about a bat on the field, and I certainly dont need an on deck batter getting themselves into the middle of a possible play.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321