Interference call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
In a game this weekend, 2 outs - ball is popped up behind pitcher and 2b is unable to catch which appears to be because of the base runner running in front of her. Coached asked for help and it was eventually ruled interference. When I was watching - the way she ran to the ball looked super odd since it looked like a pretty routine popup.
Did they make the right call? They discussed for a LONG time.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
In a game this weekend, 2 outs - ball is popped up behind pitcher and 2b is unable to catch which appears to be because of the base runner running in front of her. Coached asked for help and it was eventually ruled interference. When I was watching - the way she ran to the ball looked super odd since it looked like a pretty routine popup.
Did they make the right call? They discussed for a LONG time.

Obviously not the best camera angle, but it certainly appears that the runner interfered.

Aside: I have many notes for the ump crew.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Obviously not the best camera angle, but it certainly appears that the runner interfered.

I was just watching the live stream but another parent said the umps in this game weren't the best. I will say it was really cold there at that time. And there was still another game after this one.

May 29, 2015
A play like that is likely to have a LONG conversation between umpires. Why? We are discussing the ONE look we got in real time. We are trying to take apart every element.

My initial thought in real time, I have no interference call.

F4 was camped out in the wrong spot and, when she realized it, made a quick move to get to the ball. It just happened to be the runner had already passed her initial position and the fielder was actually chasing the runner's path so the fielder could get to the ball. The runner did not block the fielder's view of a pop fly; the fielder lost the ball. The runner did not crash into the camped out fielder (contact is NOT needed though!). Could the runner have given a little more room? Maybe, but the runner is already past the fielder's initial position on the ball.

Watching it again ... I'm not changing my initial call.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015

First note: where you are standing, don't be standing there. Understandably, it has probably been a LONG and COLD day. But don't stand still and mozy. Move. Move more, move more, move faster ... it will keep you warmer!

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
A play like that is likely to have a LONG conversation between umpires. Why? We are discussing the ONE look we got in real time. We are trying to take apart every element.

My initial thought in real time, I have no interference call.

F4 was camped out in the wrong spot and, when she realized it, made a quick move to get to the ball. It just happened to be the runner had already passed her initial position and the fielder was actually chasing the runner's path so the fielder could get to the ball. The runner did not block the fielder's view of a pop fly; the fielder lost the ball. The runner did not crash into the camped out fielder (contact is NOT needed though!). Could the runner have given a little more room? Maybe, but the runner is already past the fielder's initial position on the ball.

Watching it again ... I'm not changing my initial call.
I did notice F4 glance at the runner, I guess to miss a collision. I def think the ball was catchable had she not hesitated on her initial run to the ball.

Jun 11, 2013
Doesn't look like interference to me from this angle but maybe different in real time. The thing I really want to know if when it dropped at least one of your parents was yelling it should be infield fly rule. On most of our teams there would have been one.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Doesn't look like interference to me from this angle but maybe different in real time. The thing I really want to know if when it dropped at least one of your parents was yelling it should be infield fly rule. On most of our teams there would have been one.
Runners were on 1st and 3rd and 2 outs already.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles