Obstruction remedies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Sorry the the second rule question but trying to determine best way to coach the kids. This was NSA but usually play UTrip

R1, line drive down left field line.

As runner rounds second she runs into SS. Because of this delay she does not continue to 3rd. BU raised his hand immediately for obstruction. It's a tough situation for the runner because she would have made it easily with no obstruction, but after being stopped would have likely been thrown out. I'm not really sure if it's a good move for them to look around to see if the umps arm is raised before going to the next base.

My question is can he award her 3rd or does she have to make a second attempt to get there?

Jun 22, 2008
The runner does not have to attempt to advance to be awarded a base or bases for obstruction. The rule states, at the conclusion of play the obstructed runner is to be awarded the base or bases they would have reached absent the obstruction.

Sep 29, 2014
Since there was contact you at least have a chance of getting a call but you should not run the bases based on that.

As far as coaching I would never teach runners to do anything based what an umpire may or may not do you run the bases based on whether or not you feel you can safely advance to the next base OR based on the sign the coach is giving you PERIOD! Once she made contact and got her feet under her again she needs to assess if she can make it to the next base if she feels she can't she should return to the previous base.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
Very similar situation for us this weekend. Hard grounder sent up the middle. Fast batter/runner, who ran right into 1st baseman when rounding. Ump throws out arm for obstruction. We both see it and she heads toward 2nd. Defense makes a play at 2nd (which the batter/runner was out). Ump send her back to 1st. When asked, he said it was judgement call on if she would have been safe at 2nd without the obstruction.

I was confused - thought batter/runner would have gotten 2nd automatically.

Call ended up not hurting us, thankfully.

Jun 22, 2008
Obstruction is never an automatic base award. It is simply meant to give the runner what they would have gotten if not obstructed. If the umpire felt the runner would not have made 2nd safely, then 1st was the correct award.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
Obstruction is never an automatic base award. It is simply meant to give the runner what they would have gotten if not obstructed. If the umpire felt the runner would not have made 2nd safely, then 1st was the correct award.

Thanks - I still have much to learn. I do give credit the Ump for giving me an explanation and being 100% reasonable.

Jun 11, 2013
comp, just so I'm clear if this every happens again the off chance I have to be HC again, the Ump should give the base that he feels the runner would have gotten.

Is it up to me to go out and ask for the base if it's not given or should the ump do it automatically.

Jun 22, 2008
They should do it automatically, however, I have heard more than 1 umpire say they wont give it unless the runner attempts to advance. So, wouldnt hurt to go out and question if you feel your runner would have been safe if they had attempted to advance. Depending on their explanation then you may have a case for an argument for the runner advancing and/or a protest.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Nice to hear about an umpire that applied the rule correctly.

For those of you that may have been watching the Oklahoma - LSU game late Sunday night, the announcers were 100% WRONG on their comments regarding how obstruction is enforced and the awarding of bases......

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Nice to hear about an umpire that applied the rule correctly.

For those of you that may have been watching the Oklahoma - LSU game late Sunday night, the announcers were 100% WRONG on their comments regarding how obstruction is enforced and the awarding of bases......

I'm SHOCKED!!!! :rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish